Low voltage indicator?

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MattyB
MS/Extra Newbie

Low voltage indicator?

Post by MattyB »

Was wondering if there is already code to add to the .ini to turn an LED on when voltage is too low. I plan on running a typical generator light tied through the alternator but thought it would be better to have a programmable output for a light when it is below a certain voltage.

Im planning on running the newest MS2 stable firmware which looks to be 3.2.4
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Low voltage indicator?

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

You can configure an LED as a programmable output, then select "batteryVoltage" as the output channel. You shouldn't have to modify the .INI file.
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
MattyB
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MattyB »

The LEDs are used up by spark outputs. Ill see what other outputs I have available and how I can program them.
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

MattyB wrote:The LEDs are used up by spark outputs. Ill see what other outputs I have available and how I can program them.
We only said to use an LED because you mentioned them, but you can use any free programmable output.
MattyB
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MattyB »

I meant an LED as a dash board indicator, mia culpa

Since I have this thread here, is there a way to flash the OUTPUT (not LED as that is misleading) when it is below the programmed threshold?

Im used to playing with the older MS stuff so forgive me , my username went bye bye a long time ago and I tend to lurk when I need to figure something out. I usually do a lot of DIYPNP stuff that doesnt require a lot of modification so consider me old school catching up with the new school.
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

MattyB wrote:I meant an LED as a dash board indicator, mia culpa

Since I have this thread here, is there a way to flash the OUTPUT (not LED as that is misleading) when it is below the programmed threshold?

Im used to playing with the older MS stuff so forgive me , my username went bye bye a long time ago and I tend to lurk when I need to figure something out. I usually do a lot of DIYPNP stuff that doesnt require a lot of modification so consider me old school catching up with the new school.
We apologize for the confusion; if you meant an indicator this whole time, then you will have to add a line or two to the custom.ini file to add a custom "OutputChannel". We don't currently know of any way to make an indicator flash.
john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Post by john.p.clegg »

Matty
I had a problem burning cue to low voltage,this cured it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390567117059? ... 1439.l2649

John
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

Simple, use a generic output and have it come on when Vbatt < your threshold.
Use a 12V flashing LED, positive lead to ignition, the other one to the output.
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp
MattyB
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MattyB »

Thanks for the input guys. Figure if I cant set an output to blink in code (probably can but I don't know how), then I can add on a PIC 12F683 powered from the 5v proto output and then program that to do what I want based on a simple digital on/off signal from a free output from the MS.

This shouldnt be necessary as Im quite confident that the MS mcu is more than capable of outputing the necessary signal to blink an external indicator, but if nobody knows what code would need to be written to do this I'll just use a micro that I can do it with.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You can use the existing spare output ports setting to turn on (but not flash on and off) an output when the battery voltage is too low. It sounds like you may want something more complex, though - but if you can program a PIC, you could probably also change the MegaSquirt firmware.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
MattyB
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MattyB »

Matt Cramer wrote:You can use the existing spare output ports setting to turn on (but not flash on and off) an output when the battery voltage is too low. It sounds like you may want something more complex, though - but if you can program a PIC, you could probably also change the MegaSquirt firmware.
A blink routine for a pic is seriously easy, especially with a BASIC compiler. Id try it in the ini but since I only know how to write in BASIC, Im not gonna risk corrupting anything if I screw it up.

I wouldn't mind knowing the ins and outs of the code as it would make a lot of mods (like this one) a lot easier to do.

If it was a simple as something like this

Code: Select all

Main
If vBatt <12.0 then flash
goto Main

Flash
pin5=high
wait 1000
pin5=low
goto Main

Id be able to do it.
Last edited by MattyB on Wed May 29, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

Ricky-
1995 Nissan 240sx, 403 LS strokerv8 N/A 6speed trans
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
42lb/hr Hi-Z inj.,230/232 @.050 on 114LSA cam
sequential fuel and sequential spark
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
.60 trim T4 Turbo at 15 PSI
MattyB
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MattyB »

nismoautoxr wrote:have you been here... http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 91&t=43601
No I haven't, I'll take a look and see what I can't learn. Thanks for the link.