D16 not working hot cpu

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lazymonkey
MS/Extra Newbie

D16 not working hot cpu

Post by lazymonkey »

Hi guys, I'm very glad to be part of the MS community, I''m building a mopar turbo 2.2 with MS2 v3 board (assembled by me) but I think I messed up:

Had the MS finished and working with the jimstim, two VAG coils on wasted spark connected directly (without igbt or resistor, cause the old ones I'm using read 1200 ohm on their logical terminals). Everything fine (except lots of noise that kept disconecting tunerstudio) here 'till I messed things up and I managed to short something with a small drop of solder inside the coil A connector.

Now the problem is this: D16 not working,its Q8 transistor is fine 'cause I switched it with the D14 Q6 one and D14 keeps working but D16 doesnt, the Tunerstudio Output Test mode doesn't make D16 blink AND the MC9S12 chip on the MS2 daughterboard get very hot (55 celsius according to my IR thermometer)

What tests do you think I must do in order to fix things up?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: D16 not working hot cpu

Post by racingmini_mtl »

There is no software configuration that will cause the CPU to get hot and I'm not aware of any hardware configuration that will cause that either. The only exception to that last one is if some error caused the CPU to be exposed to more than 5V and in that case that means there is a permanent failure that will require the CPU to be replaced.

The first thing to do is to remove the MS2 card and check the voltage on the pins of the 40-pin socket. Step 24 of the assembly manual (http://msextra.com/doc/ms3/build_manual.html) shows what should be expected.

But you will still very likely need to repair the MS2 card with a new CPU chip.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
lazymonkey
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by lazymonkey »

Pin 16 is dead at zero volts, the others are ok; where should I check?

Thanks a lot!
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Do you have a wire between s12c and JS9?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
lazymonkey
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by lazymonkey »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Do you have a wire between s12c and JS9?

Jean

Nope, just one between igbtin and js10

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.
lazymonkey
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by lazymonkey »

Holy dead threads batman!!

just for the google guys, the cpu was fried, had to buy another one and everything worked ok after that.