ms3x jimstim1.5 ls1 testing

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dmcdevin
MS/Extra Newbie

ms3x jimstim1.5 ls1 testing

Post by dmcdevin »

Hi guys. Just got my megasquirt all finished up last night and have been working on testing it. This is my first build of anything remotely like this but so far all of the test have been good and everything seems to be operating as it should. The problem I am having tho is that when i go to test the rpm in tuner studio I can get it to sync and it shows ready but I cant get a full rpm range sweep adjusting the jimstim. Is this normal or are some of my settings wrong somewhere? I have adjusted the pots on the ms3 board to where it reads the best in tuner studio but it hasnt gotten me much range of motion. Any help would be appreciated!
dmcdevin
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: ms3x jimstim1.5 ls1 testing

Post by dmcdevin »

After some more tinkering with the pots and what not now it wont show ready or sync. I previously had left d1 and d2 empty but soldered a jumper wire between them to see if that was the problem. Could this be the reason for it not working at all now? Everything else still works (clt, tps and o2) just not the rpms.
Last edited by dmcdevin on Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmcdevin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dmcdevin »

Here is a msq with the settings I have in tunerstudio.
dmcdevin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dmcdevin »

And here is how I have the jimstim configured. I have rechecked all the documentation on my setup and everything seems to be correct but I still am unable to get any type of rpm signal whatsoever.
dmcdevin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dmcdevin »

I guess it would help if I actually upload the file......
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You have connected the 2nd trigger to the tach pin which means you're connecting both the primary trigger and the 2nd trigger to the same input pin. Your purple wire needs to be connected to the cam input on the MS3X connector.

As for the primary tach signal, you don't seem to have a pull up on it (the picture is quite small). I don't know which input circuit you're using but there is a good chance you need the pull up for that signal too.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
dmcdevin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dmcdevin »

Ok so since I don't have the jimstim board do I run the purple wire to the cam input pin on the ms3x connector? Or for that to work correctly would that require me having the jinstimx board?
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

if you didn't know the jimstim doesn't output the correct signal for an ls1 it is simply a 24 tooth wheel and does not have the varied tooth lengths.
dmcdevin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dmcdevin »

Will it still show some type of rpm in tunerstudio? Or will I have to wait until I have it installed on the car to see rpm?
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

you can set to a different wheel pattern ie 36-1 do your testing then switch back
dmcdevin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dmcdevin »

Ok awesome thanks. I will give it a try and see what happens.
frdstang93
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by frdstang93 »

Any success with this? I am in the same boat and trying to figure out how to set jimstim to give an rpm signal.