No RPM on MS2 (V3.0) with Jimstim

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ddog
MS/Extra Newbie

No RPM on MS2 (V3.0) with Jimstim

Post by ddog »

Hi, I am not able to get a RPM signal on my jimstim. The MS2 was configured for a VR crank sensor with a second trigger input. All the gauges seem to work except for the RPM. I have the JimStim configured for VR primary tach with a 12V pullup and a jumper from 2nd trigger to SP1/Pin 3 (cam). I tried adjusting the pots on R52 & R56 but it had no effect. I do however get a response on the tooth logger when I adjust the JimStim RPM. I know I am overlooking something but can't seem to find it.

The following is extracted from the guide(MX6) I followed on DIYautoune in configuring the board and tunerstudio Ignition settings:

" Build the ECU up to trigger from the VR Input. Jumper TachSelect to VRIN and TSEL to VROUT.
We will need a 5 volt pull up on the ignition output.
For a V3.0 board, run a 270 ohm resistor from the 5 volt source in the proto area or the right side of R24 to the top (negative) lead of D14, and run a jumper wire from the negative lead of D14 to IGN.
For a V3.57 board, run a jumper from PAD1 to the center hole of the Q16 slot, remove Q16 if fitted, and run a 330 ohm resistor from PAD4 to PAD1.
We'll also need a second trigger input. Solder a 1K resistor onto a length of wire, and cover the resistor with heat shrink tubing. Connect this resistor-on-a-wire combination from JS10 to SPR1 (for a V3.0 board) or PAD7 (for a V3.57 board).
Solder a 470 ohm resistor onto a length of wire and cover with heat shrink tubing. Run this resistor-on-a-wire from the 5 volt terminal in the proto area to the same input pin (SPR1 or PAD7) used in the previous step.
Connect a 0.1 uF capacitor from JS10 to SG or the proto area ground."

"MegaTune Configuration for MS3 or MS2/Extra

Set the following under Tach Input / Ignition Settings.

Spark mode: Toothed Wheel
Trigger Angle / Offset: 0
Ignition Input Capture: Rising Edge
Spark Output: Going Low / Normal for MS2, Going High / Inverted for MS3 It is critical to get the Spark Output Inverted setting correct, as setting this wrong can result in damage to the ignition module or coil.
Number of coils: Single Coil
Spark A output pin: D14 (MS2) or MS3X outputs (MS3)

Dwell settings will depend on the coil used; 2.5 to 3.0 msec is a safe starting point. A typical rule of thumb is to back off the dwell until you can just barely detect a misfire under lean cruising conditions, then add 0.2 ms of dwell time.

Use these trigger wheel settings.

Trigger wheel arrangement: Dual Wheel
Trigger wheel teeth: 6
Missing teeth: 0
Tooth #1 Angle: 60 (this may need to be adjusted slightly due to production tolerances)
Wheel speed: Crank Wheel
Second trigger active on: Rising and Falling (MS2) or Rising (MS3)
and every rotation of: Crank (MS2 only)"
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No RPM on MS2 (V3.0) with Jimstim

Post by Matt Cramer »

The JimStim doesn't have a real duplicate of the Probe / MX6 ignition (it was pretty much a 1992-1997 Mazda V6 exclusive oddity). You'll need to use a different setting to get RPM, one supported by the JimStim.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ddog
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: No RPM on MS2 (V3.0) with Jimstim

Post by ddog »

Matt Cramer wrote:The JimStim doesn't have a real duplicate of the Probe / MX6 ignition (it was pretty much a 1992-1997 Mazda V6 exclusive oddity). You'll need to use a different setting to get RPM, one supported by the JimStim.
Thanks again, I got it working with 6/1 wheel mode setting. It gives almost all of the RPM range when the RPM dial is turned, enough for my testing.