Testing Diode D1 in circuit

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Testing Diode D1 in circuit

Post by OrangeAlpine »

I jumpered from D1 on the extension board to S12 of the main board. The way this project is going (if it can be done wrong, I will do it) I am afraid I fried D1. Is there a test that can be done, using a multimeter?

Bill
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Testing Diode D1 in circuit

Post by DaveEFI »

Have you a diode test function on your DVM? Usually has a diode symbol. This applies volts to the diode and reads out the forward voltage drop. With an 1N4001 something like 0.6v. Note you need to observe the polarity - negative lead goes to the cathode (stripe) end. It usually works with the diode in circuit.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by OrangeAlpine »

Yes I do! Got readings of about 600, no decimal. All four diodes read the same, I'm taking this as positive results.

Thanks.

Bill
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

OrangeAlpine wrote:Yes I do! Got readings of about 600, no decimal. All four diodes read the same, I'm taking this as positive results.

Thanks.

Bill
If you swap the DVM connections, you'll usually get the same reading as if they ain't connected to anything. Or just zero. If that's the case and you're getting 0.6v correctly connected you can be pretty certain the diode's ok.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.