Msq2Extra v3.0

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

adrian3500
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Msq2Extra v3.0

Post by adrian3500 »

Hi there!

I'm pretty newbie in electronics, but I bought a megasquirt 2 extra v3.0 that's suposed to be new and already modified for the ex owner.
The problem is that I did not manage to follow up all the mods :RTFM:. Now I realize it would be way more easier to have a stock board, and to modify it for what i need, but the deal is done...so now i'm a little bit stucked.
Can anyone help me please? :roll:

As I've read and tried to understand online documentation, i managed to follow up these:
- table switch
- launch control/flat shift (did not manage to follow up all the way)
- VR logical input(Hall sensor)(did not manage to follow up all the way)
Is there anything else on my board that's not stock?
I'm confused...because the mods are not like in the documentation, and I'm not sure if correct.

Here are 2 photos of my board:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cip1eshdcbwavu5/mega_1.jpeg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6mdjxiu4audb ... 82%29.jpeg
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Msq2Extra v3.0

Post by billr »

Compliments for providing pictures right at the beginning, it is wise to verify the assembly quality on this "unknown" board. Can you get some with better resolution or lighting? Some of the soldering on the solder-side looks a little bit messy. It may just be flux or adhesive of some kind, but it would be nice to see it clearer so we can all know you are starting off with a decent assembly. On the component side, better pictures could help us check that diodes and IC's are installed correctly, maybe also the caps, transistors and resistors. My gut-feeling is it would be easier for you to remove all those mods, even though some will probably go right back on, and pretend you are building the board new. Follow the assembly manual step-by-step, it shouldn't take long since all is in place. You will not only gain confidence it is correct, but will learn about the mainboard some as you go through it. Even though all the components are there, question every one of them, we often "see" things the way we expect them to be, rather than the way they actually are. Like I said, it shouldn't take long if all is correct, and if there are errors it is much better to find out now!