MS3X install on 3.9l V6 Mopar

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

91DakBuilder
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3X install on 3.9l V6 Mopar

Post by 91DakBuilder »

Thanks Matt, I won't reinvent the wheel. I'll just go with you idea. I still need to get the GM LS style coils anyhow. I very much appreciate you sharing your knowledge with the community.
91DakBuilder
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 91DakBuilder »

Matt,

I'm at the point where I'm mocking up the 36:1 wheel on my crank pulley. Do you have
Ant recommendations for install orientation. I'm planning on joining the wheel to the pulley
Against the block. I may even try to is a pulley from a 3.0l ford EDIS equipped platform.
Any and all thoughts are appreciated for this endeavor
91DakBuilder
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 91DakBuilder »

Matt,

I'm in the process of wiring up my MS3 fuel and spark setup using the standard Chrysler provided Distributor(I'll deal with my COP ideas after I have this running). I've been in the megamanuals for a while now, and I believe the GM 4.3 setup using MS3X card is the correct diagram to follow as far as setting up spark and fuel. I'll also have to use the 36:1 trigger wheel for crank positioning information. Am I on the right track, or have I over thought this again as I've done in the past?
91DakBuilder
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 91DakBuilder »

If I'm not mistaken, I will need to wire up my firing order on the MS3X card (165432) with respect to injectors. Use Spark A pin 14, and Cam Input(from Distributor) on Pin 32. All other inputs and grounds should go to the MS3 main board. I'm using BIP373 in the Q16 slot. In the software, should I set the following; use JS10 for the spark output and MS3X for the cam in? I want to verify I've got this correct in my head, before I start tearing into wiring harnesses.
91DakBuilder
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 91DakBuilder »

After digging further into this conversion, I'm curious to know, if I have a long cranking dwell 50% like found in the v8 cousin. I'm not sure how to set things up given that I will be using a 36:1 wheel instead of the stock trigger wheel found on my flywheel. Also are there any ideas as to what my warmup enrichment should be. I haven't quite figured that out yet either.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The cranking dwell can be made longer, but current firmware doesn't support stretching it out that much. If you have JS10 wired to IGBTIN, you have the correct settings there.

TunerStudio now has a warmup analyzer in the registered version if you're having trouble getting WUE dialed in by hand. The VE table needs to be hitting your AFR targets with the engine hot.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
91DakBuilder
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 91DakBuilder »

Out of curiosity, if I wanted to use 6 individual coils for a coil near plug setup, would it be possible to use 6 stock chrysler coils, or should I go with the tried and true ls engine coils sold by diyautotune?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The Chrysler coils should work fine with a QuadSpark.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
91DakBuilder
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 91DakBuilder »

Thanks for confirming my thoughts Matt. This is good to know. I figured Quad sparks were going to be needed regardless.