SPR4 -> JS4 - Does this sound familiar

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Silverback
Helpful MS/Extra'er

SPR4 -> JS4 - Does this sound familiar

Post by Silverback »

I'm trying to figure out why I connected SPR4 to JS4. I know roughly when I did it (based on the color of the jumper I used and the location I know it was not when I initially built the board, but it was when I was troubleshooting a no start condition a few weeks ago), but I can't seem to figure out why I did it. I know, some of you are thinking "well how the heck are we supposed to know why you did something???" but I know I did it was based on some published instructions that I can't seem to find again.

Does anyone know where this came from or do you know why it would be done? I would really love a link to a web page that you think I might have gotten it from. (it conflicts with other documentation that I was trying to use last night, I'll make another post based on that)
Mark -- aka: WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...
MS2 Extra | PCB 3 | HEI Mod | TPI harness Adapter | AEM UEGO wideband | 87 Trans Am | 305TPI | T5 transmission - pretty close to stock
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: SPR4 -> JS4 - Does this sound familiar

Post by nismoautoxr »

well Ill nibble. SPR4 is a spare pin on the DB37 that is not dedicated but meant to be used universally. JS4 is a processor pin that can be used for several things http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2 ... ms2options

It beats me what you meant to control with this . Perhaps check pin 6 of your DB37 harness connector and see where it leads to :?: I have read through some of your old posts and saw no mention of it in your posts.

EDIT: I guess you figured it out http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 32&t=54563
Ricky-
1995 Nissan 240sx, 403 LS strokerv8 N/A 6speed trans
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
42lb/hr Hi-Z inj.,230/232 @.050 on 114LSA cam
sequential fuel and sequential spark
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
.60 trim T4 Turbo at 15 PSI
Silverback
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Silverback »

Nope, haven't figured it out... Still have no clue why I did it in the first place, just the results posted in that thread.

I'm pretty sure that chart didn't make me do it either since I don't think I've seen it before...
MS2 Extra | PCB 3 | HEI Mod | TPI harness Adapter | AEM UEGO wideband | 87 Trans Am | 305TPI | T5 transmission - pretty close to stock
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

Im betting that you did it that way as a knock input but that is purely speculation.

perhaps from this page http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2 ... .htm#knock since it mentions using the GM ESC module to input on JS4 or JS5? Im afraid you are the only one that can answer that. Good luck. Ive done similar....did things then went back to it a year later and said "what is that for " LOL.
Ricky-
1995 Nissan 240sx, 403 LS strokerv8 N/A 6speed trans
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
42lb/hr Hi-Z inj.,230/232 @.050 on 114LSA cam
sequential fuel and sequential spark
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
.60 trim T4 Turbo at 15 PSI
Silverback
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Silverback »

Honestly, I didn't know that SPR4 = pin 6 on the DB37 or that it was wired to the KS in the TPI adapter till I researched that to get the KS working, if I did and put that together I probably would have known that I couldn't just connect them together and wouldn't have done it.

I'm sure I'm looking for something that reads something like "if you're using GM HEI then jumper X to Y, leave out ____ and do _____," something that just listed mods to make it work, I didn't put that one together myself...
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Are you using this adapter board, by any chance?

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... _board.htm
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X