MS2 v3 board only turns on with reset JP1 pin4

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MYTF
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS2 v3 board only turns on with reset JP1 pin4

Post by MYTF »

I thought my board was working great with JimStim but now I find the PC will not connect and with it plugged in or not the board only turns on if I ground the reset pin (JP1 pin 4) on the MS2 daughter board.
I am using a DLP-TXRX Internal USB / Serial Adapter that I installed without U6 and I did get the PC to connect last week
I just read the topic; "No response on Jim Stim when not connected to Tuner Studio" but haven't tried putting a transistor on the USB board. I did try a 1.0uf capacitor between JP1 pins 2 and 4 but that didn't work.
MYTF
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2 v3 board only turns on with reset JP1 pin4

Post by MYTF »

Just a little more info. I still don't know why the board worked last week and connected to my PC but I tried disconnecting the DLP - TXRX and the MS will not stay on with the reset it only flashes then nothing. With that information I am going to install the transistor on the DLP - TXRX and see if that allows the MS to start without the reset.
I don't have much hope the PC will connect but maybe they are connected?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Put the transistor mod on the DLP-TXRX.

Does that fix it?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
MYTF
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MYTF »

Well i thought so. I had an old PNP transistor that I temporarily held that seemed to work but after soldering the MS will not stay on even with the reset. It may be a bad transistor so I just bought some new transistors and when I get home this weekend will try one of those.
I'll keep you posted.
MYTF
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MYTF »

Just an up date I replaced the old transistor and the board looks like it's working properly. I still can't connect to the laptop. The laptop sees the DLP-TXRX as an unknown device even after I reinstalled the drivers. Any Ideas?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try this driver: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM ... tified.exe

Does that get it to recognize the DLP-TXRX?
MYTF
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MYTF »

Yes I loaded CDM v2.10.00 WHQL Certified.exe and still the computer can see something connected but doesn't recognize it as an FTDI device and there is no com port in device manager.
I tried using my computer from work running Windows XP Pro and after loading the driver the computer can see the FTDI device and the com port shows up in device manager but TS connection fails.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

MYTF wrote:I tried using my computer from work running Windows XP Pro and after loading the driver the computer can see the FTDI device and the com port shows up in device manager but TS connection fails.
What happens if you try Port Check on this computer?
MYTF
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MYTF »

I had to download portcheck.exe to the XP pro computer but here is what I get.
PortCheck.jpg
While I had both computers side by side I moved the cable from the XP laptop to the Win 7 and the drivers loaded automatically.
drivers loaded.jpg
Then after restart I ran portcheck on the Win7 and this is what I see.
port check after driver load win7.jpg