Broke capacitor, did I get correct replacement?

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

livelyjay
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Broke capacitor, did I get correct replacement?

Post by livelyjay »

I still can't get my injector LEDs to light up. Any clues? I followed the injector driver troubleshooting guide and everything appears to be working correctly. The instructions aren't perfectly clear on Q1 and Q5, nor on Pin 5 of U4. The assembly instructions also said to install a capacitor on H1-BOOT, which is right next to the 40 pin header. That was one of the steps I was a little iffy on as well.

Pins 21 and 22 hooked to Ground
Injector LEDs light up on the JimStim
Pin 4 not grounded
Pin 5 = 2.5 volts

Pin 4 grounded
Pin 5 = 2.5 volts

Q1/Q5 Pin 1 = 11 volts
Q1/Q5 Pin 2 = 0 volts

Pins 21 and 22 hooked to Nothing
Injector LEDs off on the JimStim
Q1/Q5 Pin 1 = 0 volts
Q1/Q5 Pin 2 = 3.6 volts
BigLou240sx
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigLou240sx »

livelyjay wrote:In the end I'd like to make a how-to I can post back on the Nissan Forums so others with this engine can have a cheaper alternative for EMS.
what engine/vehicle?
1990 Nissan 240sx / SOHC KA-T / DIYPNP
livelyjay
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by livelyjay »

CA18DET ... 1987 Nissan Pulsar, but the how-to would work for the 240SX swap too. Not a very big audience I know.
jompa_a
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jompa_a »

This might be a bit late, but if you want military spec soldering, you bend the leads (ex. resistor) in a 90 degree angle and snip them of before you solder.
Greetings from Sweden /Jonas
livelyjay
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by livelyjay »

Thanks for the tip. I did bend the leads so the elements would hold in the board while I was putting everything together.

I think I'll abandon this thread now that we've got the capacitor and soldering things all squared away. I have a JimStimX arriving tomorrow and I'll swing by RadioShack and buy some of those small nippers that were suggested. I also need more solder. I bought a roll of lead free, but it was written in the docs that it's no good. So I'll return it and buy some of the stuff I was using before.

I'll open up a new thread for my actual build so I can ask questions specific to my build, instead of clogging up this one whose subject might not get me the feedback I need.