No Inj2

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

No Inj2

Post by lotus23C »

Hi
*edited*
I have an MS2, V3 board with a JBPerf sequential board. All 4 coils and 3 injector drivers work except for Inj2.
There is no signal from the V3 main board at R36 where the link wire is soldered as detailed here: http://jbperf.com/sequential/v3_0_inj_outputs.png.
There is continuity from injector board right to the MS2 daughterboard header pins on all injector channels and using an LED tester, it flashes on all channels except Inj2 at the header pins.
R36 and R32 are removed.
Latest MS2Extra firmware is installed
Injector works, wiring OK, boards visually checked with no notifiable faults.

Is there any faulty component that is likely to give this condition? It is starting to look suspiciously like a faulty daughterboard to me, but I suppose there could be a short.

Thanks in advance
Patrick
Currently Lotus 23C replica Audi 1.8T MS 2 v3 Sequential COP and ignition.
Lotus 7 replica 4age 20V blacktop MS2 v3
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No Inj2

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Have you tried the test mode?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lotus23C »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Have you tried the test mode?

Jean
Yes I have Jean.
Using test mode I was able to find Inj2 not working and that all other injector and coil channels were working. It is definitely Inj2. Inj3 and inj4 are fine and these are the fiddly ones to set up.
Using an LED (with resister) I traced the signals of all inj channels to their header pins on the MS2 daughter board. Inj2 has no signal at the head pins. Using a DMM I found continuity from the inj. driver board right to the MS2 Daughter board on all four injectors.

So, I think it might be either a faulty MS2 daughter board, or a short somewhere pulling signal to 0v.
Although I am using the sequential driver board, much of the V3 board injector circuitry is still in place (as per instructions) and I wonder if there is one of these components that is shorted to earth / faulty.

I can supply an MSQ, but wonder if it will be much use on this fault.
Any recommendations are welcome
Thanks
Patrick
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

What you could try is to remove the MS2 card and apply 5V to pin 39 on the 40-pin socket (you can use pin 1 or pin 20 for the 5V source). That should turn on INJ2. If it does, you know the issue is on the MS2 card. If not, then the issue is on the main board.

You might also want to inspect the pin header on the MS2 card to see if there is a bad solder joint on pin 39.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lotus23C »

Thanks Jean, I did as you said, injector 2 clicks, so that circuit is fine. Re-soldered the header pin with no change, so looks like a new daughter board, it isn't the answer I wanted, but at least an answer :?

Thanks for your help.
Patrick