leds are dead

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: leds are dead

Post by slow_hemi6 »

foster650 wrote:i have a question guys, why are the leds 2.1 volt when they see 5 volts? and the leds should be flashing or out? i have new leds by the build sheet and it said 2.1 v on them. just a question. the 1st two leds from the db9 connector are staying lit up while the 3rd one is nothing. i have now power there which leds me to beleive that the transistor is bad on that led. thanks!
You have a 4 cylinder with wasted spark. That means 2 Led are configured for that purpose and so are, doing something. If you have not configured the third led to do something, what exactly do you expect it to do? have you tried Output Testmode for I/O to see if it actually works and you are not just pulling things to bit's for no reason?
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
foster650
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by foster650 »

Yes I tried the test mode. It seemed to work then, buy when I installed it on the car ,I lost spark and the LEDs were solid untill they burned out, which they were bad is why I am pulling stuff back out.. Just trying to figure out the problem ... I can't find anyone who has had the same problem. if i attach leds to the board they are solid again with the jim stim hooked up , i havent tried the harness yet. i guess i could redo the spark out puts and try it with the harness again. this is a different harness and engine. i have to modifiy the harness yet, it is still stock. thanks luke !

Mitch
foster650
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by foster650 »

and i was running 8 cyl wasted spark so i had( key word had) this set up " When using logic level coils or an external ignition module, the ECU needs to be configured to supply logic-level outputs.
The diagram here shows the connections required for four channels (e.g. 4cyl COP or 8cyl wasted spark.) If 5th and 6th logic channels are required, build additional transistor circuits with the inputs JS5 and JS4 and route the output from the circuits to spare output pins of your choice.
foster650
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by foster650 »

i have rebuilt the spark driver circuits with the tc4427aepa mosfet chips, and with the testing operation on tuner studio everything seems to be working. i also replaced the transistors and leds so they now flash, i still cant get the jimstim to work. i know it has to be something i dont understand yet. i will try it on the engine.
Michael
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Michael »

Don't try it on the engine until you are confident everything is working OK on the bench (with simulator). If your simulator is not working - find out why. The exercise will be a good one in fault finding if nothing else! Double check vehicle wiring bvefore plugging in. Check continuity and check correct voltages of correct polarity are present at the correct pins on the DB37.

Best Wishes - Michael