Option for RS232/DB9 to USB? Will it work?

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Option for RS232/DB9 to USB? Will it work?

Post by WillExoIX »

Looking at the FTDI products page I came across this

http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop ... goryID=100

Question is, would it work? I know typically using a length of USB cable can potentially cause serial communication errors in some applications. Reason I am asking is because I am plagued by serial communications issues because my laptop does not have a serial port, so I am using the DIYAutotune serial to USB converter with the usb extension cable. I get typical RPM spikes and some insane numbers for values, however the engine does not skip a beat and resets are almost nil at this point.

Its not grounds, they are all done per the article that is so ruthlessly pushed here, lol. Also completely rewired the entire harness using the DIY Megasquirt harness. Megasquirt info for this build is in my sig.

I have resorted to using the serial cable with the serial to usb adapter at the very end to eliminate the USB cable, but have been unable to test it out due to having an expired license, which I should have renewed by the beginning of next month.

Looking to see if the above product would work or would using the USB cable again cause issues?
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Option for RS232/DB9 to USB? Will it work?

Post by kjones6039 »

From a quick read, I would think it would work.....
WillExoIX wrote:I have resorted to using the serial cable with the serial to usb adapter at the very end to eliminate the USB cable
FWIW............ That is the setup I prefer and would be my preference. I have had some difficulty with long USB cables in the past. The shorter the USB (if you can't use straight serial), the better, IMO.

Just one old guys opinion though! Curious though.... What's the raccoon's take on this? :lol:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

kjones6039 wrote:From a quick read, I would think it would work.....
WillExoIX wrote:I have resorted to using the serial cable with the serial to usb adapter at the very end to eliminate the USB cable
FWIW............ That is the setup I prefer and would be my preference. I have had some difficulty with long USB cables in the past. The shorter the USB (if you can't use straight serial), the better, IMO.

Just one old guys opinion though! Curious though.... What's the raccoon's take on this? :lol:

Ken
Talk about getting ripped off, he wants 3 bins just for his opinion! :lol:
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

What laptop are you using,
I am using a IBM Think pad T41, no serial port built in.
Purchased a docking station that has a serial port. Works good.
Or a Card Buss to RS232 serial adapter
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I'm confused. What would be the advantage over using a suitable length serial cable with the serial to USB adaptor at the laptop end?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Ollie8974 wrote:What laptop are you using,
I am using a IBM Think pad T41, no serial port built in.
Purchased a docking station that has a serial port. Works good.
Or a Card Buss to RS232 serial adapter
Dell inspiron b130
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

DaveEFI wrote:I'm confused. What would be the advantage over using a suitable length serial cable with the serial to USB adaptor at the laptop end?
Just wondering if its a viable option, though it would still use a usb cable which is what causes the primary issue anyway. So I guess it would be a moot option.
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

Did you install the FTDI driver here,
Scroll down to 3A.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/serial_setup.html
Have you considered a docking station,
This photo of a Dell docking station shows a serial port.
DELL DOCKING STATION.jpg
Last edited by Ollie8974 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd say it is a long USB cable which is more likely to be the problem. Serial is pretty robust. So use a short serial to USB adaptor and make up the required length with serial. That works just fine here.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Ollie8974 wrote:Did you install the FTDI driver here,
Scroll down to 3A.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/serial_setup.html
Have you considered a docking station,
This photo of a Dell docking station shows a serial port.
DELL DOCKING STATION.jpg
My laptop doesn't have a docking port. Im using a FTDI chipset serial to USB with the applicable driver installed. Its the USB cable as far as I can tell. Using the serial cable with the serial to USB converter and haven't had any issues yet. Also switched to tunerstudio from megatune.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

DaveEFI wrote:I'd say it is a long USB cable which is more likely to be the problem. Serial is pretty robust. So use a short serial to USB adaptor and make up the required length with serial. That works just fine here.
Yes this seems to work much better. Have the serial cable with the adapter on the end and haven't had a problem yet. Taking a datalog tomorrow so I will know for sure.