Install components for unused options?

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Hey_Allen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Install components for unused options?

Post by Hey_Allen »

I could have sworn I'd seen a few topics discussing this, but it's been a while and I can't find any now.

As the title says, is there any reason to install the supporting components for options that are not going to be used?

The reason I ask is that after having built a fully configured MS2 PCB3 years ago, I just moved to buy a MS3 with MS3X. It will be sequentially controlling a v8 with hall crank and cam sensors.
Between the MS3x handling many of the inputs and outputs, and a TinyIOx handling a few more along with the WB-O2 inputs, it would seem that a good few of the board options will never be used, and could be left out. (Opto-in, VR-out-inverted, PWM injector limiting, etc)

Are these all called to be installed and just jumpered to make the MSExtra assembly instructions simpler and more uniform? My last full buildup was a base MegaManual build.

Hopefully I'm not overlooking a complete discussion of this, but I welcome any comments.
Josh
-greasy fingered tinkerer
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Install components for unused options?

Post by dontz125 »

If you're new to the game, it doesn't hurt to install everything, and it's good soldering practice. If you aren't positive which components could be left off, then by installing everything you know you didn't accidentally leave off the voltage regulator.

Once you're confident in your ability to read and customize schematics, feel free to use, exclude, or substitute whatever components you deem appropriate.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I agree with Don.

But some experienced people using my 4-channel driver board and dual VR board are not populating the tach input and injector driver circuits on the V3.0 board and they have very little left on the MS board and only the voltage regulator on the heat sink. That does look strange but it simplifies assembly significantly. But you do have to know what you're doing and plan for your specific setup.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Hey_Allen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hey_Allen »

Thank you for the confirmation on that.

I was thinking that it was a simplicity's sake issue when the instructions called for installing everything, but wanted to confirm that before tearing the whole thing apart using the schematics.
While I'm not an electronics engineer, I do know my way around a diagram and can usually make sense of what I'm working with.

The fun part is going to be seeing what all I need to do to fit my now unused MS2-extra onto my motorcycle, once the car install is done. The packaging considerations will be interesting.
Josh
-greasy fingered tinkerer