Experience of running MS3X 5SFE Crank Sensor+3SGTE Dizzy CAS

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Danbob
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Experience of running MS3X 5SFE Crank Sensor+3SGTE Dizzy CAS

Post by Danbob »

Hi all,

Currently working on a MS3X powered Toyota 3SGTE (MS3X ready and waiting but engine build holding me up)

I was planning to use the stock Nippon Denso CAS, which uses a 24 tooth wheel and 1 tooth wheel in the dizzy to work out cam and crank angle from the cam. - It has been megasquirted successfully a few times, but does have some problems.

I've recently seen a neat OEM solution. - Using an oil pump from a 5SFE engine, which has a mount for a crank angle sensor (and is a high volume pump), combining this with a crank timing gear from a Gen 4 3SGTE (has 32+1 large tooth wheel integrated), will give me a ready made easy to install and reliable crank angle sensor.

I think I would then run just the 1 tooth VR sensor from the CAM and the crank sensor - I hope this would then eliminate all the cross interference etc. that the CAS suffers from.

Question is has anybody done this before?

And how would I set up my MS3X both in terms of hardware and config to run this?

Currently I have followed all of the instructions for 2x VR inputs assuming I would use the 2x VR sensors in the CAS unit. I expect the 5SFE crank sensor is also a VR sensor, will have to check.

Will the MS3 support the 32 + 1 long tooth crank wheel with a single tooth Cam wheel for sequential spark and injection??

Thanks
Dan
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Experience of running MS3X 5SFE Crank Sensor+3SGTE Dizzy

Post by dontz125 »

If you have 32 little teeth plus that big lump (with two little bumps on either side), I'd try 36-2.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

I run a 36-1 crank trigger wheel and a dizzy CAS for cam signal only, works great. I suspect as dontz125 stated that your crank wheel is 36-2.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Danbob
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Danbob »

OK, thats what I was hoping to do thanks! It won't cost me much more time or effort than using the stock dizzy CAS, so may as well give it a go!

It would be good to confirm from somebody who has already used this type of crank trigger wheel that it will definately work as a 36-2 wheel with MS3x, as once the crank trigger wheel is installed and the engine installed it's not an easy job to take it back out to modify the trigger teeth
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I've seen a lot of other Toyotas with similar looking wheels set up as a 36-2 and they worked fine.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Danbob
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Danbob »

OK cheers,

Did a quick search and it seems this trigger pattern is used by lots of Toyota's

Same part number wheel:
MR2 Beams engine
Altezza
Celica ST20
Caldina
Rav4

Different wheel but same pattern:
Camry
Solara
Carina
Vista

So probably is the same as the ones you've seen - Think I'm going to go for it!
Thanks
Dan
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

Danbob wrote:I've recently seen a neat OEM solution. - Using an oil pump from a 5SFE engine, which has a mount for a crank angle sensor (and is a high volume pump), combining this with a crank timing gear from a Gen 4 3SGTE (has 32+1 large tooth wheel integrated), will give me a ready made easy to install and reliable crank angle sensor.
I have done exactly this.
It works great :)
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
Danbob
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Danbob »

Hello all, I now have this setup in the car with MS3X and trying to get rpm to sync, no luck so far.

Could anybody who has successfully set up this crank wheel take a look at my msq in this post and let me know if I've done it right?

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 93#p521385

Thanks
Dan
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Interested in the outcome as well. I have a 3sgte running MSPNP with normal distributor but plan to eventually go to COP with MS3.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water