ms2 3.57 and MSD Digital 6 jumper question

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jay_D79
MS/Extra Newbie

ms2 3.57 and MSD Digital 6 jumper question

Post by Jay_D79 »

OK I decided to have the MS take over the timing.. previous ignition setup was a standard Chevy HEI distributor with vacuum and mechanical advance using the digital 6 in place of the HEI-4 module. I locked out the advance and wired the VR sensor to pins 1 and 24, and after messing with R52 and R56 for a bit I have a good rpm signal. Next is getting it to trigger the MSD via the points input (white wire). I locked out the advance mechanisms (both of them) and clocked the distributor so the tach pulse comes in at 60*BTDC and rotor points directly at the #1 wire post at 25*BTDC.

I noticed in the hardware manual there's a small section about doing triggering the MSD (page 87) and it says to remove Q16 (mine wasn't installed in the first place) and install a jumper from PAD1 to the middle hole of Q16. My ECU already has a jumper from JS10 to the middle hole of Q16 (which is connected to pin 36).

Do I need to remove that jumper from JS10 or install the jumper from PAD1 in addition to the other one?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
86 Monte SS. 454. aluminum marine heads, roller cam etc. no boost... yet.. MS2 3.57
Jay_D79
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: ms2 3.57 and MSD Digital 6 jumper question

Post by Jay_D79 »

I think I answered my own question by reading some more.. PAD1 is the D14 spark output and my choices are to use D14 OR JS10, so removing the jumper and installing it to PAD1 seems to be the solution
86 Monte SS. 454. aluminum marine heads, roller cam etc. no boost... yet.. MS2 3.57