c16 popped

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

c16 popped

Post by ashford »

i had pulled my ms to modify and swap with a different car as i had a new unit to install that had been modified for my new motor. when i pulled it apart to make changes the tanaltum cap had exploded, i have noticed nothing out of the ordinary so i don't know how long it has been bad. this is my origional megasquirt circa 2007( wow ive been running one of these for 7 years)

the car it was intended for is my current DD, so not having a replacement part i used an electrolyte capacitor of about the same value. so my question is how long should i be running on it. can this be permanent or is this only good for temp use?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: c16 popped

Post by DaveEFI »

Tantalum are very attractive due to their small size and low ESR. However, what you describe isn't uncommon - and has been the case since they were introduced about 50 years ago.
But aluminium electrolytic have improved over the years too, and a decent low ESR one won't be far behind a tant in performance.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.