Ms2/extra vs. 2004 miata

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

2004gs
MS/Extra Newbie

Ms2/extra vs. 2004 miata

Post by 2004gs »

Working on converting my ms2 board over from a CAS driven setup to one that will work with the factory cam and crank sensors on the car. I'm also adding the jbperf sequential injector drive board and the pwm converter board.

I started on all this about 2 years ago and things got side tracked, I was was working from the examples shown on a web site (westfield mx5) however the site is no longer available.

Does anyone one have diagrams for wiring in the following mods on ms2 v3 the board?

Look for info to:

Build cam and crank input circuits in the VR area using TL082

PWM converter board built in injector output circuit

Thanks
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Ms2/extra vs. 2004 miata

Post by dontz125 »

Build cam and crank input circuits in the VR area using TL082
This way lies madness. Since you already know about jbperf, pay the man another $40 and get his Dual VR Conditioner board.
PWM converter board built in injector output circuit
I have no idea what that means. The sequential (4-channel driver board) has installation instructions here. What are you trying to control with PWM?
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Probably talking about the peak and hold board.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
2004gs
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 2004gs »

Re; PWM, I'm talking about the idle valve control on my car. The ms doesn't operate at the right frequency so we use another product from jbperf to increase the frequency. See PWN converter board.

I will investigate the Dual VR board, people have got it working the way I described but perhaps the this would be easier.

Is there a wiring diagram for the board?

I found the following info on the board, solder pads are:

Out1
Out2
VR1+
VR1-
VR2+
VR2-

I require:

cam input
crank input
Tsel output
JS10 output

What goes where?

Thank you
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Assuming you use channel 1 for the crank and channel 2 for the cam, Out1 goes to Tsel, Out2 goes to JS10, VR1+ goes to TachSelect. You will need to use 3 spare pins on the DB37 for VR1-, VR2+ and VR2-.

You will then connect you crank sensor to TachIn on the DB37 and to the spare pin you used for VR1-. The cam sensor will connect to the pins you used for VR2+ and VR2-.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
2004gs
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 2004gs »

Sorry just need some clarification on this.

My eom 72 pin connector has a single point of contact for each the crank and cam. So how do I populate the three points you mentioned with only two connections on the 72?

For example cam is pin 3U on the 72 pin, does this get soldered to both vr2- and vr2+?

Also do I need to install jumpers from :

Vrout,tsel,tachselect,vrin?

Or does this become redundant when using your board?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

With the dual VR board you basically bypass the on-board VR circuit. So you don't want the jumpers to VRout and VRin.

If you have a single wire coming from the sensors, you will then connect VR1- and VR2- to ground. So the crank signal goes to TachIn (which is connected to VR1+) and the cam signal goes to your spare pin which is connected to VR2+.

Of course, that assumes that both sensors are VR sensors.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum