DLP-TXRX loopback test

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

darmy
MS/Extra Newbie

DLP-TXRX loopback test

Post by darmy »

I'm building an MSII on a 3.0 board and I'm stuck at getting the board to communicate. I've run through the communications troubleshooting doc, and I'm failing the loopback test.

I'm using the DLP-TXRX rather than the native serial. My question is: should the DLP-TXRX work with a loopback test? I'm feeding it 5v from the MS, and have a jumper from Tx to Rx on the DLP-TXRX. When I run Hyperterminal I see the red LED flash on the chip as my computer tries to send data, but the green LED never flashes. Hyperterminal does not show any return values.

The DLP-TXRX does have the green LED flash momentarily as I start up the MS, but that's the only time I see it light. I'm pretty sure my drivers, settings, etc. are in order for the USB to Com stuff. If doing the simple loopback on the DLP-TXRX should be working, then that chip is my issue, and not something else.

At this point, I'm scrounging work for an old computer that still has a serial port, and I'll put U6 back on (probably with a socket this time around...) so I can take the DLP-TXRX out of the picture and test from there.

More info: I've also run the DLP Design test application. It sees the DLP-TXRX, but only gives a device number of "0", and no serial #. When the DLP-TXRX is connected to the MS per spec, TunerStudio does not see it, ms2loader cannot see it, and ms2downloader cannot see it when I select Read Signature.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: DLP-TXRX loopback test

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes, it should loop back with the output pins jumpered.

I'd search for it in Device Manager. To find out what port the USB adapter is using, first make sure the DLP-TXRX is plugged in and powered on. Then right-click My Computer and select Manage. Select Device Manager at the left, then scroll down the right hand column until you find the entry that says "Ports (COM & LPT)". Click the plus sign next to it. You should see an entry that looks like "USB Serial Port (COMx)" where x is the number of the port it has grabbed.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
darmy
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: DLP-TXRX loopback test

Post by darmy »

Thank you for the response.

Yeah, I've made sure everything is looking at the correct port, and I've even tried different ports (including com1) to no avail. I think I either got a DOA chip from digikey, or I killed it somehow when jumpering it for testing. I guess I'll just use u6 and a serial to usb cable for now.