newbee questions

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jbjslambert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

newbee questions

Post by jbjslambert »

i am working on my second MS ECU but my first unassembled MS3x even though it has been a few long nights of assembly it has been enjoyable up til now. :D I have assembled it and my JimSim V1.5. I have powered on and loaded firmware, tested sensor inputs like mat,clt,tps, o2 and they all work fine.

I tried wheel simulation and did not even get a whisper of a signal in the tooth or trigger logger. so I backed up a little and realized that I have the Tsel jumper missing that I didnt install yet(this should be the reason?). I think I skipped over it due to being confused in which jumper I need. I will be connecting to a 2JZGTE VVTI. I believe is a 36-2 wheel. The thing about google searching...I cant get a solid answer found about whether its a Hall or VR. I am thinking its a magnetic VR?
of course I dont see a 36-2 dip switch configuration so I thought I would just change the 2J VVTI trigger setting over to a 36-1 in Tunderstudio for testing purposes?

Also I figured I would get a LED lit up for power on the V3.0 mainboard. I have nothing lit. I guess MS3 doesnt have a power light? So i shouldnt get a light until warm up, accel, or pulse happens. I measured the legs on the LED to GND just to see. One is 4.8V and the other is 3.3V which should be normal until the CPU connects ground to Q6, Q7, or Q8??

any and all help is grealty appreciated, I am looking to learn and refresh myself since its been 16 years since I was an ET in the USAF. I find that I am mostly second guessing things due to not trusting my fainting electronic knowledge
jbjslambert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: newbee questions

Post by jbjslambert »

update: I went ahead and installed the jumpers for magnetic VR with some scrap resistor leads. RPM's now works and injectors pulsing. i couldnt get IGN working from the PCB 3.0,(figured it was the board setup) so I ran some leads from the MS3x IGN outputs to the Jimstim and its working!!!

Is there a wheel combination I can use for 2J vvti? I want to run a second trigger to the ms3x and try the 2J vvti tuner studio settings and maybe the VVT output
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

jbjslambert wrote: Is there a wheel combination I can use for 2J vvti? I want to run a second trigger to the ms3x and try the 2J vvti tuner studio settings and maybe the VVT output
Just set spark mode to 2JZ VVTi. This one is pre-configured. If you don't have that as an option, update to the latest firmware.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jbjslambert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jbjslambert »

sorry Matt, I read my reply and I wasnt clear...it was like 2am.

I meant that if I set the spark mode up for 2J vvti in Tunerstudio, what can I set the dip switches for on the JimStim to simulate the engine? I dont see a 36-2 trigger combination for the Jimstim. I want to go try this mode before it goes in the car. Thanks
jbjslambert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jbjslambert »

So, is there a wheel setup to simulate a 2jzgte vvti in the firmware for JimStim v1.5? I have looked and googled like crazy. I am not seeing
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I'm not sure if this is in the released JimStim firmware.
Try the following: 2,3,4,7 = ON

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".