Which ignition output jumpers? MS2 3.0

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

aneskimo
MS/Extra Newbie

Which ignition output jumpers? MS2 3.0

Post by aneskimo »

I am helping a friend finish up his MS2 build. It will be power a volvo 240 4 cylinder engine in a miata. He plans on using LS1 coil packs. Should we build up the 4K7 resisters or stack BIP373 modules? Or am I totally off?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Which ignition output jumpers? MS2 3.0

Post by jsmcortina »

Have you read the manual? This describes what is required.

See the "Manuals" link above.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
aneskimo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by aneskimo »

Yes, I went through the manual but I am a little bit confused. Right now I'm looking at page72 of the, what I call "megasquirt bible" hardware guide. Section 5.3.1.4 is talking about the resistor method. 5.3.1.2 on page 70 suggest stacking 4 BIP373s to control 4 coil packs. I don't know what the difference is in doing one or the other.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Unless we're talking about something different, the LS1 coils are 4-pin logic units. The better method is in 5.3.1.3, at the bottom of p.71 and p.72. The method shown in 5.3.1.4 will work, but must be done carefully.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
zachme
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by zachme »

I have a related question, please forgive me if I'm posting it in the wrong spot, but when running 4 LS1 coils (actually I'm using the LS2 truck coil) in wasted spark mode is it acceptable to just tie the logic input of the two coils together and run them off the chosen method for outputting spark A and B ? I was planning on using the resistor method as I have those parts on hand. Or do I need to set up the 4 drivers?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes, four LS1 coils can be run in wasted spark from two outputs.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Spike243
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Spike243 »

dontz125 wrote:Unless we're talking about something different, the LS1 coils are 4-pin logic units. The better method is in 5.3.1.3, at the bottom of p.71 and p.72. The method shown in 5.3.1.4 will work, but must be done carefully.
Sorry for reviving this old thread but I'm having a problem with which spark output I need to use. I used the method in 5.3.1.4 to drive ls truck coils. You mention that it will work, but must be done carefully. How did you make this work and which output do I need to use? (going high/low) Thanks