microsquirt module v2.2 problems.

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

microsquirt module v2.2 problems.

Post by electronic »

Just finished up soldering microsquirt module v2.2, uploaded latest firmware, uploaded my last tune, everything went pretty smooth. Then hooked it up again to a battery with positive and negative and started changing the tune, while I was doing that it started flashing some messages like flash 6 wasn't successful, couple of other errors, and then disconnected from the tuner studio all together and I hasn't worked since. I tested few things and it's getting + to pin 1 and 2, it also has good grounds on all the ground pins, along with serial ground. While I was doing testing serial rx was grounded as well when the ecu was powered from a battery and serial cable hooked up to the computer, I wasn't sure if that was normal. When I disconnected the ecu from the computer, serial rx pin wasn't grounded anymore.

I need to figure out what's wrong with it, is there anymore tests that I can do to figure out where exactly the problem is?

Thanks.
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: microsquirt module v2.2 problems.

Post by electronic »

Anybody know what jp2 header should be at, there is a vcc, ground, rx, tx. Everything seems ok, except rx is grounded, is it suppose to be? Btw can max 3221 chip can be removed and run a blue tooth instead if max3221 ends up the problem?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

First try reloading the firmware; if you get an error message, please post a screen shot of the results.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

It wouldn't upload new firmware. And when I hooked it up to the bike the fuel pump and fans just turn on and stay on until I turn the key off.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try putting the boot connection in place and doing a port check, then post a screen shot.

Also let me know if the fans and fuel pump stay on when it has the boot connection in place.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

will do tomorrow.

Thanks.
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

grounded the bootload pin, fuel pump output stayed grounded so the fuel pump stayed running, serial communication wasn't found just like with the bootload not grounded.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I don't know if that's what you did but you need to ground the pin with the power off and then turn on the power with the pin still grounded. Once it's powered up, the state of the pin no longer matters.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

racingmini_mtl wrote:I don't know if that's what you did but you need to ground the pin with the power off and then turn on the power with the pin still grounded. Once it's powered up, the state of the pin no longer matters.

Jean
As a matter of fact I didn't do that, I powered the unit first, checked fuel pump output, then grounded the bootload and rechecked the fuel pump output pin.

I will ground bootload first and then power the unit.
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

I was able to communicate with the ecu and upload a new firmware on the bench, haven't installed the ecu back on the bike yet, but it seems like it's working again :yeah!:

My question is how did the ecu lose its firmware in the first place?

Thank you.
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

Everything was starting to work great, the engine started and ran, but wouldn't rev past 8k rpm, I figured it was something minor in the tune. So today I hooked the ecu up and had wideband with me to hook up to check afr, plug everything in, hook my laptop to the ecu, crank the engine and unlike last night when it started right up this time it wouldn't, so I added more fuel to the map and started cranking the engine and it tries to start, but I started to see fuel coming out of the header, so I shut it down, thought it was a stuck injector or something. Plugged factory ecu, it took 3-4 seconds but it started right up, ran on 3 cyl out of 4 for 10 seconds with some smoke coming out of the header and then started running like normal. I pulled factory ecu out, install ms and the same thing happens, fuel started to come out of the header, I then called it a day.

I just tested the inj outputs and inj1 is doing great working how it should. Inj2 outputs are grounded even when the ecu has no power to it. :evil:
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

I just looked at the module and was able to see that u7 mosfet was kind a burned while u6 mosfet looks fine. The base of the u7 mosfet is grounded so I think it's gone. Is there a place where I could get another one? I looked them up and I think they're vnd5n07.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You can get them from digikey.com or mouser.com. However, it might cost you more in shipping than the cost of the part if that's the only thing you need.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

I found them for 1.85 on digikey already, it stated that they're good for 3.5a max............, but I remember reading somewhere that microsquirt module is able to handle up to 5amps per injector driver.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

It just depends on how you read the spec sheet. They are the correct replacement part.

Jean
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

How reliable are these injector drivers? Should I order extra? And is there a more reliable driver out there?