New to MS - got some questions

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

e85omniglh
MS/Extra Newbie

New to MS - got some questions

Post by e85omniglh »

Hey everyone,

I recently took the plunge in getting MegaSquirt for my car. My home forum is turbo-mopar. I'm looking to get a few questions answered before I actually start assembling the board and all.

Car/Engine: 1986 Dodge Omni GLH-T / 2.2L SOHC, Stage 2 head, .040 over, Pro BC rods, ported int/exh, +40s injectors, Walbro 255, Venolia pistons, Turbonetics s57 T3/T4 turbo, 3" exhaust, FMIC, Magnecor wires, +1mm oversized 3 angle valves, QTP cutout, FWD F4 cam, 324fwhp@21psi, Modified Logic Module, wideband o2, Accufab Adjustable Fuel Rate Regulator.

I bought the MS2 PCB3.0 kit with the MapDaddy4 upgrade. I will post the questions with numbers instead of a long paragraph.

1. I want to run launch and boost control; do I need to buy the mod kits for my board in order to support this?
2. I have seen the "Proto Area" is available on my kit, what exactly does it do?
3. I am new to soldering, but have a decent amount of experience in welding. I bought a 15-Watt soldering iron, Magnifying glass with 'Helping Hands', a 5" Nippy Cutter, and 60/40 Rosin-Core Solder(.032"-Diameter). Is this the proper equipment?
4. E85 is on my to-do list, how difficult is it to wire in a flex fuel sensor?
5. My engine is running a single coil with distributor ignition. How can I run Coil-on-Plug ignition instead?
6. When assembling the board, do I need to wear any static resistant clothing?

Apologies for all the questions, I want to get a full understanding first before I start digging in. I have also read through the manuals. One more tidbit, I am not too far from Suwanee, GA.. maybe an hour or so, do you guys let people walk in for tours? lol

Thanks!

-Q
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New to MS - got some questions

Post by elutionsdesign »

Cool car!

1.) Boost needs the mod kit, there is a specialized transistor in it. Launch is just a couple of 4001 diodes, resistors and 5V source.
2.) It makes it easy to add in the launch control and boost control, gives you a place to solder extra components.
3.) Getting or adding adjustable heat to your soldering iron makes it last much longer and easier to use.
4.) Very easy, done it several times.
5.) Also done it several times. Decide which coils you want to run and how you want to run them, such as wasted spark or full sequential. For sequential you would need a cam trigger, wasted spark does just fine and only requires a "crank" trigger with a missing tooth. Wasted spark would require only two ignition outputs, Spark A and B, while sequential would need four. Study the MS2 documentation which will help you decide. I used quotes on "crank" as there are distributor pickups such as the Mitsubishi CAS that can supply a suitable signal without the need for an actual crank trigger wheel. You'd have to adapt something but it may be easier for your application.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
e85omniglh
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by e85omniglh »

Thanks for the quick reply!

There is a small write-up for the turbo dodges(1980's, not SRT-4s) that goes into detail about the swap, and general usage, which has been a great help in understanding the system as it's used with the Chrysler 2.2L/2.5L engines. From what I've read, there is a 2.2L/2.5L ignition code, but it has some bugs in it and was pretty sketchy. So, the preferred route is using a 36-1 trigger wheel welded onto the crankshaft pulley, which is the route I will take as well. For the camshaft position sensor, I have bought a 1985 Dodge turbo distributor with a Hall Effect Pickup sensor with vanes or something. I'm just still perplexed on how you can fire COP's if the distributor is still there.. unless you just plug the cap. The coils are fired directly from the MegaSquirt, correct?

My ultimate goal within the year, or by next summer at least, is to get the engine to develop 530whp with the aid of a tube header, 4.0L intake manifold, E85, and a Holset HE351CW turbocharger. With that amount of power, and stripped to the bare essentials(it's going from a weekend warrior to full drag car) I plan on it becoming the first FWD 2.2L powered Dodge Omni to get into the 9's. Car weighs in at 2290 with me in it, half tank of gas, and the front and rear seats removed. Really hoping the Megasquirt will be a BIG help in obtaining my goal
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Coils are fired from megasquirt, it is best if you can find a cap or fabricate a cover for the distributor. I think your goals are attainable, best of luck!
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!