Daughterboard Socket

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

samforsey12345
MS/Extra Newbie

Daughterboard Socket

Post by samforsey12345 »

Hi there, just nearing completion of my ms2 assembly.

Just going to keep it short and ask whether it is a problem to have the socket installed with the notch (accidentally) at the top?

My gut feeling was bad, however if it is merely a socket I may be ok?

Also any advice on removing Q4 transistor, I fitted this prematurely by accident and it is hard to heat and remove as it has 3 legs.. I've already removed as much solder as possible with a "sucker" but am stuck with it.

Cheers in advance, Sam
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Daughterboard Socket

Post by Matt Cramer »

The socket is just a socket. Just remember it's upside down. :D

If you don't happen to own a desoldering pump, it's often easier to have a decent quantity of solder on all three legs, melt the solder, and pull the transistor out, then go about opening up the holes with desoldering braid.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

samforsey12345 wrote:Hi there, just nearing completion of my ms2 assembly.

Just going to keep it short and ask whether it is a problem to have the socket installed with the notch (accidentally) at the top?

My gut feeling was bad, however if it is merely a socket I may be ok?

Also any advice on removing Q4 transistor, I fitted this prematurely by accident and it is hard to heat and remove as it has 3 legs.. I've already removed as much solder as possible with a "sucker" but am stuck with it.

Cheers in advance, Sam
Generally safer to snip it off and remove each leg separately. A new transistor is pennies - a new PCB rather a lot.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
samforsey12345
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by samforsey12345 »

Cheers guys.

Another question is where is it best to source a BIP373 in the UK if that is possible? There seems to be a guy on ebay selling them but for £12 a pop that seems quite a lot!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

£10 each from me for BIP373 + fastener + isolator inc postage.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
samforsey12345
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by samforsey12345 »

Started up my ms2 - problem free! Installed msextra 3.3.3, thought I had a problem with vr circuit as rpms weren't doing anything.

However upon investigation realised that megastim only supplies ignition signal for dizzy setups. Setting fuel only in software yielded results and rpms fully functional.

Buying a BIP373 off jsmcortina as I wish to go for wasted spark ignition on a ford coilpack.

Also have a three wire bosch iac. Ordered a tip120/122 for this which is why I had to remove Q4 transistor. Is the best setup still to run 2nd coil through resistor to ground to hold valve shut and use ms2 to pwm other coil to open valve?

Thanks.