Check my IO setup please

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

CSXRT4
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Check my IO setup please

Post by CSXRT4 »

The project im currently doing is an IO hog so ive tried to set things up to get the most use I can out of the available IOs. This is an MS3 with MS3X, no external boards or CAN bus devices. I haven't, on previous builds, used a few of the outputs in the manner I intend so I wanted some feedback about any possible issues I may encounter or if I need to set something up differently.

I have 4 hall effect cam sensors, I set up the opto cam circuit to JS10 for the first cam. The other three I plan to wire to PT4, MS3X Cam, and Datalog(PT6). I wanted to double check that I am able to wire the latter three cam signals to the MS3X card with no extra needed circuits?

I have 4 Cam VVT solenoids, I plan to wire these to MS3X Nitrous1, Nitrous2, IDLE, and VVT. I assume no issues here.

Im going to be using a 3 wire PWM Bosch idle control valve. I plan to wire this to INJ bank1 and INJ bank2, will this be okay with the standard circuit construction?

I have Oil Temp and Oil Pressure that I plan to wire to MS3X Spare_ADC and EGO2, I assume no issues here.

VSS is an 8pulse to ground per revolution reed switch. I plan to wire this to MS3X Launch-in, I assume no issues here.

Ive jumpered JS9 to S12 and intend to use the stepper outputs for tach and an Oil warning light. I have tach wired to IAC1a(JS0) and the Oil warning light wired to IAC2a(JS2). Ive read people using the stepper output for tach but not a light, im assuming this should work right? For the light, grounding it will illuminate, will I need to invert the control because im on stepper A instead of B? Is it possible to invert the output in the settings?

Ill have my Rad fan on FIDLE. Shouldn't be any issues here.

I have MS3X Tacho and N2O in setup for A/C control. Shouldn't have any problems here.

Thanks

Jason
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Check my IO setup please

Post by dontz125 »

Looks good. You'll need a pull-up resistor (1k) on PT4, and, depending on the sensor type, a bias resistor for your Oil Temp sensor.

The IAC (stepper) pins are push/pull. When IAC1 is 'ON', JS0 is at +12v, while JS1 is at GND; reverse when IAC1 is 'OFF'. IAC2 and JS2 & 3 are the same.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I don't believe the firmware allows INJ1 and INJ2 as IAC outputs.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
CSXRT4
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CSXRT4 »

dontz125 wrote:Looks good. You'll need a pull-up resistor (1k) on PT4, and, depending on the sensor type, a bias resistor for your Oil Temp sensor.

The IAC (stepper) pins are push/pull. When IAC1 is 'ON', JS0 is at +12v, while JS1 is at GND; reverse when IAC1 is 'OFF'. IAC2 and JS2 & 3 are the same.
Thanks. I forgot about the pullup and bias, I remember reading about that in the manual. Im going to test on the stim but sounds like I might have to switch the Oil light to JS3 if I want it to ground when activated?

Matt Cramer wrote:I don't believe the firmware allows INJ1 and INJ2 as IAC outputs.
Im using the mainboard inj banks as the outputs. Tunerstudio lets me select them for IAC, that means it should be allowed right?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

If you can select it, it's allowed. I must have been thinking of a different firmware.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

Matt Cramer wrote:I don't believe the firmware allows INJ1 and INJ2 as IAC outputs.
Im using them on a BMW IAC valve (3 wire valve) without any problems.
CSXRT4
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CSXRT4 »

Ok i setup an MSQ and loaded it to the MS3. I was getting an error because the apparently the nitrous outs and mainboard inj outs use the same pwm frequency base and I was setting them to different frequencies. How many pwm frequency bases are available with MS3?

If i set up the following:

Shared PWM Frequency 1
Nitrous1-out - VVT1 Solenoid
Nitrous2-out - VVT2 Solenoid
MS3-INJ1-out - VVT3 Solenoid
MS3-INJ2-out - VVT4 Solenoid

Shared PWM Frequency 2
MS3X VVT - 3wire IAC pin1
MS3X Idle - 3wire IAC pin2

Shared PWM Frequency 3 (slow)
MS3X Boost - Boost control solenoid (slow)

Will each section have its own frequency? It doesn't throw any errors when loaded up this way but I thought the MS3 only had 2 PWM frequency bases.
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

What frequency you need? Search on forum pwm groups, I'm on the phone and is difficult to search that information.
CSXRT4
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CSXRT4 »

Ok I searched for "PWM Groups" (thanks for the term, I wasn't sure what to refer to them as).

Found this thread http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... ps#p410412

So it sounds like we have two hardware PWM groups and boost control can be software PWM (slow setting)? So effectively 3 seperate frequencies can be used as I intend?
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

Yes, I think so. Since you select the low range frequency on Boost menu. But I never used this module. I only needed this pwm groups since, I need more outputs to vanos, and I had that problem.

I had read something related to that like, the boost frequency is the same of idle control but Im not sure.

There are people with more experience than me to help you.