MSD install / Q16

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jrods2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MSD install / Q16

Post by jrods2 »

MS2V30_Hardware-3.3.pdf
page 184 13.3 Assembly

STEP 18) Now place the metal strip (heatsink) in place and start fitting the main power components (U5, Q12, Q11,
Q5, R38, Q9, Q3, Q1, R37), remembering Q9 and Q12 have a piece of mica insulation under them to stop them
touching the heatsink!
Note, you can temporarily fit a couple of screws to hold the heatsink in place whilst you put the parts in. All
power components should be fitted with a smear of thermal grease.

See step 28 before installing Q16. 5. 3. 0.
TIP125, TIP122, BIP373 require a mica insulator.
page 93, 5.3.5 CDI modules (e.g. MSD, Crane etc.) Jacobs (''''same as MSD'''').

I'm assuming I do not need Q16 installed. I'm using a Jacobs IGN to fire the coil, It's the same as an MSD unit but much better quality. Wiring is the same as MSD.
Am I correct?
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MSD install / Q16

Post by elutionsdesign »

Do they still make Jacobs? I had one in a Maserati I owned years ago, helped that ignition a whole bunch. I though Jacobs got bought out and swallowed up.

You do need something to switch the signal to ground to trigger the MSD/Jacobs. I have used the Q16 many times as if the user chooses to run a coil directly they can OR they can run an MSD, the MSD doesn't mind a floating/ground trigger. Some ignition systems require a pullup to ground trigger. I have also just used a 2N2222 to trigger an MSD if the user tells me they never have any intention of trying to run a coil directly.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
jrods2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jrods2 »

elutionsdesign wrote:Do they still make Jacobs? I had one in a Maserati I owned years ago, helped that ignition a whole bunch. I though Jacobs got bought out and swallowed up.

You do need something to switch the signal to ground to trigger the MSD/Jacobs. I have used the Q16 many times as if the user chooses to run a coil directly they can OR they can run an MSD, the MSD doesn't mind a floating/ground trigger. Some ignition systems require a pullup to ground trigger. I have also just used a 2N2222 to trigger an MSD if the user tells me they never have any intention of trying to run a coil directly.
I have no Idea if Jacobs is still in business or not. I've had this system for about 8 years and it's proved flawless. I got all the paperwork and the coil with it. It was give to me by a fireman because it kept burning up his plugs.
I put it behind a ford 390 HP (modified to about 425 HP) alum heads 2 in. headers, AFB carb, Crower cam retarded 2 degs. This motor is still in the car but it's being replaced with another 390 with H beam rods, custom cut Childs & Albert 9.2 CR & zero gap pistons & Rings. A 1700 CFM Paxton supercharger capable of 50 lbs of boost. I'll be using 17.5 lbs of boost on this motor. I'll be running a Lunati cam with a 112 centerline with .534 lift ,Lunati roller lifters straight up. All this with the MS2 should give me at the minimum of 600 HP.
Yes the Jacobs is a grounded trigger system (white wire same as MSD), I have a 36/1 crank trigger with hall sensor mounted and ready to hook up. All I need is for the MS to do is trigger the Jacobs unit, it will control the coil NOT the MS.
I ordered from Ben at Mega Squirt and every thing I needed was included in the kit when I got it per what I am doing.
Since I don't need a high current from the MS I'm assuming I can do without the Q16 and possibly use it for something else down the road if I need another output but I don't have any plans to add anything.
So I can forget about Q16 Right?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I have no Idea if Jacobs is still in business or not.
Looks like that was made around the time Jacobs had been sold to Presolite Performance. They kept it around for a while, but soon shut it down as they didn't need three ignition brands in their stable. Supposedly they took what technology Jacobs had that they found useful (the original Dr. Jacobs had some items that were useful and some that were simply an off the shelf OEM ignition circuit in a fancy box) and incorporated it into new products for their other two ignition brands, Mallory and Accel.

Now, Prestolite Performance got bought out by MSD's new corporate overlords. At this point, what's going to happen to the ignition aftermarket is anyone's guess.

Back to the original question - you should have no trouble running other CDI boxes with a 2N2222 transistor.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jrods2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jrods2 »

Now, Prestolite Performance got bought out by MSD's new corporate overlords. At this point, what's going to happen to the ignition aftermarket is anyone's guess.

Back to the original question - you should have no trouble running other CDI boxes with a 2N2222 transistor.[/quote]

I'm just not a fan of MSD, My unit quit working after a week, I was getting 3 cars ready for the 2008 seattle roadster show, the night before the show one of the cars brand new msd box quite working, went to locale speed demon & got another box with 6 hrs to go before show and it wouldn't work, gave that one back and got another brand new box & it was also bad, needless to say that $125,000 67 olds 442 convertible did not get to the show, I had prepaid all 3 entry fees costing a 2 Ben Franklan's. I talked the owner into buying a Crane unit and it is still working, pretty good for 7/8 years. My Crain Hi 6 lasted for 10 years & would still be good if I had not had a run on condition with a remote system and stopped the run on by pulling coil wire. The other car won !st place at that show 1968 GTO, my car just got looked at a lot and that was OK with me. I do believe that where you place the unit at has a lot to do with the life span, my Jacobs is under the drivers seat, Now I have to figure out where to mount the MS ecu, I'd really like to mount it under the rear window deck but that may be to far away, but I think I will try it there.

Back to the original question , Thanks Mat I'm glad you answered, I was going to email one of you guys to get an answer but you beat me to the gun, I'm learning a lot and have as of today talked to 2 guys that are using or have just purchased a MS. The brood is growing. Thanks again, Jerrold
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

I'm here in Bellingham if you have any needs, I am a DIYautotune distributor.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
jrods2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jrods2 »

Thursday Night Garage Association. Go to the web site on Facebook and join the club. It's located in Snohomish county. When I joined there were 84 members now there's over 300 on the list. They meet every thurs. from 4 to 7 pm. About 30 to 70 show up at a meet. It's a rolling car show, never know where it's going to be held unless your a member. There's a chapter in Bullhead city nv. Wish there was one here in Palmdale ca.