Tuner Studio and JimStim settings for LS3

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

merlewagner
MS/Extra Newbie

Tuner Studio and JimStim settings for LS3

Post by merlewagner »

I just finished building my MS3X/V3.0 MS and trying to test with a JimStim. I want to verify that I can run something that would be equivalent to an LS3 (that is the final destination for this). I want to run COP, full sequential.

My current problem is trying to determine what settings are valid in the JimStim and then the associated settings in Tuner Studio for the ignition settings. I can't find any documentation for this setup or anything relating to an LS3 setup.

Any ideas for testing on the bench? I tried the LS1 in JimStim and LS1 in ignition settings of Tuner Studio but I keep getting a redlight indicating No RPM Sync. Diag logger shows both CAM and crank data.

Anyone have an idea on what a good test setup would be?

Merle
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Tuner Studio and JimStim settings for LS3

Post by Matt Cramer »

The LS1 mode on the JimStim was a fairly crude emulation that turned out not to be adequate for real world use; consequently, it doesn't work with the latest updates to the firmware. To verify the circuit works, use another mode like 60-2 (which corresponds to the 58X signal on later LSX motors).
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Matt Cramer wrote:The LS1 mode on the JimStim was a fairly crude emulation
Until recently, this was true. Current issue JimStim's do have an accurate 24X pattern.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
merlewagner
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by merlewagner »

Thanks for the update. I purchased the JimStim and MS3X kit in 2011. The stim board is V1.5 and has V203 for firmware. Research doesn't show any updates for the Stim.

I will try the 60-2 and see how Tuner Studio likes that. I just ordered the StimX as I want to verify the injector operation.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As mentioned, the latest JimStim firmware does have a pattern that can be used with the MS3. This is now what is provided with every new CPU and is identified as V2.0.4.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Thanks, I'd missed the update.

Looks like I need to get a new picture for our site so our customers will know we've got the 2.0.4 code ones in stock.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
merlewagner
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by merlewagner »

Thanks for the feedback.

Jean, can I download the new version or new chip required?

Also, managed to get the unit running with the Stim board. Used 60-2 wheel but my stumbling block was setting up the MS3 ignition properly. The trigger wheel arrangement setting has to be set up for Dual wheel with missing tooth. This became apparent after RTFM (Tuner Studio Reference Manual). I was using the quick help feature in Tuner Studio and it was of no help.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

merlewagner wrote:Jean, can I download the new version or new chip required?
Unfortunately, a new chip is the only way to get the new firmware.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
merlewagner
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Tuner Studio and JimStim settings for LS3 *SOLVED*

Post by merlewagner »

Ordered new chip, Thanks everyone..

Merle