Question on pots R52,56 and R11, R32

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

onig
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Question on pots R52,56 and R11, R32

Post by onig »

MS3X V3.0 DIY kit
The manual says to turn these pots CCW to the end position and that sometimes you MAY feel a click. Apparently the pots being supplied now don't click. The manual says that you can "Optionally, when adjusting R56, you can measure the voltage at the "top" of R54. You'll need the board powered up. Set your meter to volts, and connect the +ve probe to the top of R54 and the -ve probe to ground. Adjust R56 to get the lowest voltage on your meter."
Question 1. How do we put R52 to the end position when no click is heard?

On the Xpansion board the manual says to do a similar procedure to R11. "Optional - with power on, adjust R11 until the voltage at ZC TESTPOINT is as low as possible. Set your meter to volts, place the +ve probe on ZC TESTPOINT and the -ve probe to ground."
Question 2. How do we put R32 to the end position when no click is heard or felt?

The manual states to turn the pots a certain number of turns CCW to their end position. Well, I was turning them trying to feel or hear for the click. No luck, so how many turns did I do to try and find the end....I have no idea. :x Therefore I have to use the Optional method, no problem for R56 and R11, what about R52 and R32?
What I noticed and did...was... bring R56 to the lowest voltage by turning CCW; when I was turning R52 CCW the voltage was going up so I brought it to the highest voltage while turning CCW and then stopped at that point. I did the same on the Xpansion board for R11 and R32. Turned R11CCW to get the lowest voltage on the "ZC Testpoint" and then stopped. Proceeded to turn R32 CCW until the voltage stopped climbing up.
Question 3. Is this the correct way to back-off pots R52 and R32 when using the volt meter? If not what is the correct way of doing it?

I am testing my board for a tach signal and can't get it to work. The manual says "The tach input is one of the most important signals going into the Megasquirt and correct system operation is not possible until the tach input is correctly installed and configured. Until the Megasquirt reads the correct
RPM, nothing else will work."
....."this is probably one of the largest areas of difficulty with any after-market EFI install." TRUE AND TRUE!!!!!!!

So this is where I am now stuck, is trying to get a tach signal to show on the TunerStudio tach gauge...I started a post "NO RPM, NO RPM" but I am not getting anywhere as of yet. Matt is trying to help me, but I understand that he too can be busy.
Thanks
onig
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Question on pots R52,56 and R11, R32

Post by billr »

If you turn any of those pots at least 20 turns, in either direction, they are certain to be at the end point of travel in the respective direction. They will not go further than the end point, no matter how many more turns you make. Some of those pots are 7-turn, some 12-turn, probably other configs. The most I have ever heard of is 20-turn, so do that and you can be certain. After you get to that "end point" turn the pots back the other way per instructions.

Edit: What kind of sensors on crank and cam, VR or Hall; if Hall, do the sensors have internal pull up/down resistors?
onig
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Question on pots R52,56 and R11, R32

Post by onig »

The Gen 3 hemi uses Hall sensors.
Internal board pull up. From 5v point on Proto Area of baord to a 1000 ohm resistor that goes to the jumper of TachSelect-VRIN.
Thanks
onig