newbe, can't get firmware to load

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

larryd96
MS/Extra Newbie

newbe, can't get firmware to load

Post by larryd96 »

Hey all, just finished my build of DIYPNP Nippon Denso and I'm trying to load the firmware. I've tried to load from a widows 7 computer using USB to serial adapter and also tried it on a windows xp computer with a serial cable. Both instances getting the same com port time out. I've also tried two different firmware packages. The exact error is below

Reading bootstrap.s19:
bootstrap.s19
Detected MS-II (HCS12) code.
Entry point: 0xc000
Code range : 0x4000-0xfff0
File read successfully

Opened com port 1 at 115200.
ERROR: unknown error status response, e=0x5E
Bootstrap loaded......

I then tried to run it again using com port 2 and got the following error:

ERROR: Timed out reading response, 0xE0

Finally, and this may sound like a silly question but in the instructions to load the firmware it asked to turn off the megasquirt and I am simply unplugging it from the stim pack. Not sure if that's how I'm supposed to do it or not.

Any help on my error\errors would be greatly appreciated.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: newbe, can't get firmware to load

Post by Matt Cramer »

Are you using the B&G firmware loader? You need to use the loader with the MS2/Extra firmware instead.

Unplugging the unit will turn it off.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
larryd96
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by larryd96 »

Matt Cramer wrote:Are you using the B&G firmware loader? You need to use the loader with the MS2/Extra firmware instead.

Unplugging the unit will turn it off.
I am using the MS2/Extra firmware loader. I've tried loading firmware MS2/Extra 2.1.0e Firmware and MS2/Extra Release 3.3.3 Firmware both give me the com port time out error. How can I confirm that I am getting power to the board?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Check for power at 5V, 12V, and VREF points.
larryd96
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by larryd96 »

Matt Cramer wrote:Check for power at 5V, 12V, and VREF points.
I've fully jumpered my MS and have the 12V and VREF jumpered to their apporpriate locations on the adapter board. I've been trying to load the firmware on a bench but I'm assuming its not getting power this way so I'll try and load the firmware while plugged into the car, after I unplug the coils of course.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Yes, but have you CHECKED for power at those points? i.e. measure it with a volt meter.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
larryd96
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by larryd96 »

jsmcortina wrote:Yes, but have you CHECKED for power at those points? i.e. measure it with a volt meter.

James
Thanks for your imput James, no I haven't. I'll be sure to check those tonight. I have the VREF and 12V jumpered to the adapter board per a jumper config. I found on diyautotunes website for my 94 miata but no where did I see where to jumper the 5V. I'm going back through the jumper assembly directions to see if I missed it. thanks again for the imput.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Matt didn't ask about jumpers - he was asking you to check that 12V and 5V are working ok - to make sure that the ECU is receiving power and providing 5V to the internal components.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
larryd96
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by larryd96 »

jsmcortina wrote:Matt didn't ask about jumpers - he was asking you to check that 12V and 5V are working ok - to make sure that the ECU is receiving power and providing 5V to the internal components.

James
Thanks James, I really appreciate you and Matt's patience and help. I guess I'm really showing my lack of knowledge in this realm. I will test these tonight and let you know what i find out. Thanks again for all your help guys
larryd96
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by larryd96 »

larryd96 wrote:
jsmcortina wrote:Matt didn't ask about jumpers - he was asking you to check that 12V and 5V are working ok - to make sure that the ECU is receiving power and providing 5V to the internal components.

James
Thanks James, I really appreciate you and Matt's patience and help. I guess I'm really showing my lack of knowledge in this realm. I will test these tonight and let you know what i find out. Thanks again for all your help guys
Matt, James,
I was able to test the 12v and 5v and they appear to be working correctly. The 12v registered at 12.19v and the 5v registered at 4.98v. Are there any other areas I need to test? Any other suggestions?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

How are you powering MS when trying to load the code?

I've found a marginal power supply which appears to work ok with MS and a stim, doesn't when trying to load code. So I think you want one rated at 500 mA minimum - 1A is better. Or use a fully charged car battery.
Don't use a car battery charger as a PS..
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
larryd96
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by larryd96 »

DaveEFI wrote:How are you powering MS when trying to load the code?

I've found a marginal power supply which appears to work ok with MS and a stim, doesn't when trying to load code. So I think you want one rated at 500 mA minimum - 1A is better. Or use a fully charged car battery.
Don't use a car battery charger as a PS..
Thanks for the input Dave. I'm using these two items to load code.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... p-168.html
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/usb- ... -p-67.html

And when the USB to serial adapter didn't work I tried just a serial cable on a windows xp machine and still timed out on the com port.

Matt, thank you for suggesting to test the power on 12v and 5v but I think you mentioned checking VREF for 5v also. Can you elaborate more on how I do this? I may be mistaken with what you said though.
AspireSVT
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AspireSVT »

Just wondering if you have figured out why yours won't load. I'm having the same issue. My ms2 works fine. I'm trying to upgrade the fw from 3.1.0 to 3.3.3 and I've tried on a windows xp and windows 8 computer. The ms extra v3.3.3 has been extracted on both machines. When I open the ms loader win 32 I get all the way to where it asks " do you want to scan your serial ports automatically yes no default yes"
It searches the com ports but does not find the controller. The controller communicates with tuner studio on both devices using either USB serial connection or a Bluetooth connection and that works fine the car runs fine. Just can't figure out why the bootloader won't find it. I have it connected to a fully charged car battery with a trickle charger connected to maintain the voltage. Any thoughts. Thanks.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Sorry I missed this thread - here is a more detailed power check. Power up the Megasquirt on a Stimulator or on the car and check the following points for voltage with a multimeter.

You should find the same voltage as the battery voltage on the following points: S12, S12C, the center legs of Q9 and Q12, the left (non-banded) end of D3, the left leg of U5, and the left (banded) end of D9.

You should have 5 volts at the following points: S5, the two +5V holes in the proto area, the right (non-banded) end of D9, the right leg of U5, the left (banded) end of D19, and pins 1, 20, and 31 of the CPU.

Let me know where you find the correct voltages, and where you find the wrong ones.