MS3 Setup for Foxbody

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ElectricNick87
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3 Setup for Foxbody

Post by ElectricNick87 »

I have a stock '86 Foxbody Mustang with a 5.0L.

It runs the TFI ignition & has 24lbs injectors.

I've been going back & forth with this for almost a year & a half.

Can someone show me EXACTLY how the board is supposed to be wired for the RPM signal from the TFI?
Can someone show me EXACTLY how the board is supposed to be wired for the signal BACK to the distributor?

The set of instructions at http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... _0.htm#ms3 (about halfway down) says:
"Step 52: Set the jumpers for Hall/Optical/Points. That would be XG1 to XG2, OPTOIN to TACHSELECT, and TSEL to OPTOOUT."

Then the instructions here http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS3baseV ... re-1.3.pdf in section 6.3 Ford TFI refer back to 5.2.4, which states:
"VR Input for logic input
e.g. TFI, EDIS, GMDIS, LS1/24X, modules, hall sensor with built-in pullup
a) Solder a link between VRIN and TACHSELECT
b) Solder a wire between VrOUT and TSEL"

I'll post pictures of my board in just a bit.
ElectricNick87
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: MS3 Setup for Foxbody

Post by ElectricNick87 »

elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Either will work, my first MS was for my 1986 Ford Bronco II and I used the Hall/Optical/Points circuit. Since then I have done systems with the same type of signal using the VR circuit. Are you currently having trouble?
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
ElectricNick87
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ElectricNick87 »

I haven't been able to get my car running in almost a year & a half.

I can get an RPM signal from the MS3 to my laptop, so I'm thinking that circuit is working correctly.

I need to figure out how exactly to test the signal going back to the distributor/spout connector.

I wasn't having any luck getting the car to start so I set it up like the picture on here:
http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... ng_5_0.htm

#1 is connected to the shielded white wire.
#2 is connected to the shielded black wire.
#3 is stock 12v on start.
#4 is 12v from the positive side of the coil.
#5 is connected to the negative side of the coil.
#6 is connected to battery ground.

For #5- I still have the wires that were originally connected to the negative side of the coil connected as well.

I want to test the coil, but for TS it only has options for CoilA through CoilN, but I don't have any of those connected to anything. Should I have the negative side of the coil connected to one of those? When the key is on I have 12v to ground on both sides of the coil. Primary resistance is around .5-1 Ohm (of which 200 Ohm is the lowest setting for the meter.) On the secondary it fluctuates but if I recall correctly it was around .9-1k Ohm.

I also want to test the injector circuit. Would those be InjA & InjB? (I believe my harness has them marked Bank A & Bank B.) Key on gives me 12v to ground on the positive side of the injector harness.

Thanks for any help. I am tied up with work nearly 60 hours a week plus I have to study on top of it so the car often gets pushed to the back burner. I'm hoping to get it running so I don't have to trailer it to my new house at the end of May.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The shielded black wire is a ground - TFI does not use it, but some other ignition types do.

Are you using an MS3X board? If so, you should set the spark output to Tach and wire the MS3X tach output to pin #2.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ElectricNick87
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ElectricNick87 »

I'm using MS3.

I put the ignition back to stock (Other than the white signal wire) & I'm getting spark off of the coil.

I can hear the fuel pump prime. I guess I'll have to get an LED & plug that into one of my injector plugs so I can see if they're firing.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Add a 100 ohm resistor from S12 to the jumper between IGBTOUT and IGN, and set the spark output to LEDs Spark. Then you can wire pin 36 to the SPOUT wire and have the MS control the spark.
ElectricNick87
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ElectricNick87 »

Thanks. I've been insanely busy & haven't had a chance to touch the car since I last posted. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to do that this weekend.
thewestie
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thewestie »

How have you made out. Love the file name. I have ones named similar.
87 Turbocoupe 351w swap with a TKO, someday a turbo car again.
MS2 3.0 3.4.0
ElectricNick87
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ElectricNick87 »

thewestie wrote:How have you made out. Love the file name. I have ones named similar.
I just looked at it & realized I already had the resistor installed like Matt said to do. A year & a half after spending all of this money & it still doesn't run.

About the only interest I have in this POS system is making sure my friends don't make the same mistake I did.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

ElectricNick87 wrote:I just looked at it & realized I already had the resistor installed like Matt said to do.
It is not visible in the picture - was it added after those pictures were taken?
ElectricNick87
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ElectricNick87 »

It is installed on the underside of the board. It's in shrink wrap so it wouldn't short out on the case.
thewestie
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thewestie »

Have you tried starting with spout out. It takes ms out of the picture are you getting spark?
87 Turbocoupe 351w swap with a TKO, someday a turbo car again.
MS2 3.0 3.4.0
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

My mistake - I see it now.

You will need to change the tune from MS3X Spark to LEDs Spark if you are using pin 36 as spark output.