5.3.1.3 Logic spark outputs - wiring question

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

DaxRushV8
Helpful MS/Extra'er

5.3.1.3 Logic spark outputs - wiring question

Post by DaxRushV8 »

Hi all,

I'm looking at using a Bosch ignition module to switch my coils rather than internally by my MS2 to try and fix some strange sync errors i'm getting and need clarification on the internal wiring.

There is a slight difference between the wiring in the megasquirt extra manual and the bosch datasheet for the module.
http://www.microsquirt.info/Bosch_02271 ... asheet.pdf

Different resistors and different transistor numbers.

Just wondering if these differences are negligible? or if I should follow the bosch datasheet wiring?

I have already brought the TC4427AEPA and 15R 1/8W resistors suggested for the logic spark outputs so would obviously like to use these if possible.

*edit*
Also - do I need to use shielded wire to the ignition module?
and - do I still need the capacitor in the 12v supply to the coils?

Thanks,
Tom.
DaxRushV8
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: 5.3.1.3 Logic spark outputs - wiring question

Post by DaxRushV8 »

Can anyone help with my questions below?

Thanks, Tom.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Couple of quick questions.....

1: What kind of coils are you using?

2: How are said coils currently be fired?

3. What kind of sync errors and what trigger pattern/engine is this?

4. msq and datalog?

Use the TC4427, 15R 1/8W combo as it works well with pretty much all logic triggers including VAG pencil coils.

You don't need shielded wire to the ICM but neither will it hurt anything, ditto the capacitor
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
DaxRushV8
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DaxRushV8 »

Rover V8 in a kit car. Currently using 4x VB921's in megasquirt to fire 2x ford edis coil packs. Separate DB connector for the feeds to the coil packs. Cap on the power feed to the coil pack and earthing scheme as per MS extra, all sensor grounds back to ecu, then separate wires all to the same point on the engine block.
36-1 toothed wheel on crank pulley and Ford VR sensor.

Usually sync error 2 which I think is missing tooth not in the expected position?
Actually runs ok with no laptop plugged in (unless it is hesitating and I can't notice 4.6V8 in small light car), only when I plug the laptop in it randomly cuts the engine out. Tried various USB - 232 converters and my old laptop with 232 direct and no better.

With my install it's difficult to separate the sensor wires and the coil trigger wires so I think it is picking up noise from the coil triggers.

Files attached,
Thanks,
Tom.