sensor and input bench testing

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

peterro
Helpful MS/Extra'er

sensor and input bench testing

Post by peterro »

Hi all,

I'm running an MS3 with MS3x and relay board. It's going on a 440 in a Dodge Challenger. I've assembled the harness on my bench and am validating connections and functionality before installing into the car. At this point I've validated CLT, MAT, TPS, MAP (onboard and in manifold), VR Crank, Idle Stepper are communicating with Tuner Studio.

I'm intending on full sequential with a 36-1 trigger and cam position sensor (3-wire from a jeep). I'm able to spin the trigger wheel by the VR sensor and see the tach register the revolutions as well as on the tooth logger. I've connected the Cam sensor to the cam input on the ms3x along with 5v and sensor ground on the relay board. I must have something not right as I don't see anything on the composite logger when I spin the sensor. Settings, or wiring, or a combination. Any thoughts of how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: sensor and input bench testing

Post by Ollie8974 »

peterro wrote:Hi all,

I'm running an MS3 with MS3x and relay board. It's going on a 440 in a Dodge Challenger. I've assembled the harness on my bench and am validating connections and functionality before installing into the car. At this point I've validated CLT, MAT, TPS, MAP (onboard and in manifold), VR Crank, Idle Stepper are communicating with Tuner Studio.

I'm intending on full sequential with a 36-1 trigg.I've connected the Cam sensor ter and cam position sensor (3-wire from a jeep). I'm able to spin the trigger wheel by the VR sensor and see the tach register the revolutions as well as on the tooth loggero the cam g witinput on the ms3x along 5v and sensor ground on the relay board. I must have something not right as I don't see anything on the composite logger when I spin the sensor. Settings, or wiring, or a combination. Any thoughts of how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks
Use 12V instead of 5V that will have a stronger signal.
Last edited by Ollie8974 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Check the voltage on the cam sensor - what's it doing as the sensor revolves?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
peterro
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by peterro »

This is the sensor pigtail I'm using so I hooked the orange to 5v ref, and black to the TPS return. Apply power and check voltage on the yellow signal wire using a return as ground and there is no voltage change when turning the sensor. Do you see any issues with that process? I think I need a new sensor.

What voltages should I expect for on/off?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It should go from 0 to 5 volts and back again.

You may need a pull-up resistor (1K from VREF to signal) for this sensor to work properly.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
peterro
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by peterro »

The resistor worked great! Thanks.