No RPM testing MSII

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

yesitis
MS/Extra Newbie

No RPM testing MSII

Post by yesitis »

2015-07-12_12.29.27.msq
I am building my first Megasquirt II V3 board. I am not getting and response with the JimStim when I turn the RPM pot. I skipped the idle stepper part of the build because I a using a Holley Projection and there is only a fast idle solenoid. Do I need to add the components for the Stepper anyways? I have searched but haven't been able to find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No RPM testing MSII

Post by Matt Cramer »

How do you have the RPM input circuit built?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
yesitis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yesitis »

Matt Cramer wrote:How do you have the RPM input circuit built?
I'm sorry but I am such a rookie that I'm not sure how to answer that? I built everything per the Megasquirt manual. I haven't completed the board. I am at the testing stage for the pots. I tested the stim and with the jumpers in place when I turn the fine RPM pot the LED flashes faster. But I can not get the RPM to register on tuner studio? I have rechecked all my previous work and it looks ok. But I did skip the stepper motor part because the Projection TB has no stepper motor. I purchased this kit from you several months ago and finally have the time to work on it.
yesitis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yesitis »

Maybe I understand after all. I used the steps for Hall effect. I have a GM HEI distributor I am going to use.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

What do you have connected to TachSelect, TSEL, and XG1?

What have you done with diodes D1 and D2?
yesitis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yesitis »

Matt Cramer wrote:What do you have connected to TachSelect, TSEL, and XG1?

What have you done with diodes D1 and D2?
I used cut off leads and jumpered D1 and D2 and the other jumpers the Hall effect option called for.
yesitis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yesitis »

I jumpered Tachselect to Optoin
Tsel to Optoout
XG1 to XG2
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try loading it with MS2/Extra code and see if you can get a tooth log.
yesitis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yesitis »

Matt Cramer wrote:Try loading it with MS2/Extra code and see if you can get a tooth log.
I am at work now but I will try that tonight and post my results. Thank you for all the help. I do try to figure things out for myself I just hit a wall on this.
yesitis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yesitis »

I downloaded MS2/Extra and I guess it burned to the ECU? Now Tuner Studio will not communicate with the ECU. It asks for an ini file? I have no idea where to get that file or which one would be correct? Maybe this is more than I should have tried to tackle.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the ini file would have been included in the ms2 extra firmware you downloaded.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Create a new project and have TunerStudio detect which INI file to use.
yesitis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yesitis »

Matt Cramer wrote:Create a new project and have TunerStudio detect which INI file to use.
I tried that last night no luck. Anything I tried all I got was wrong .ini file? The message on the screen said I could use it anyway but it wasn't recommended. I really don't like to seem helpless. I research things and try to solve them without bothering you guys but I am not very successful with this. I will try again tonight when I get home. Thank you for all the help.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Did you let TunerStudio detect it? It should automatically find the ini file from its local library or download it from the 'net if needed.

If you do that, it shouldn't be possible to select the wrong ini file, because TS does it for you.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
yesitis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yesitis »

jsmcortina wrote:Did you let TunerStudio detect it? It should automatically find the ini file from its local library or download it from the 'net if needed.

If you do that, it shouldn't be possible to select the wrong ini file, because TS does it for you.

James
When I open TS and select Open Project it warns that the .ini file doesn't match. I let it detect the file but all that does is opens up another window with folders to choose from? I tried all those folders but none would work. Then I tried New Project but I got the same results?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Did you have the new project automatically detect the parts?
yesitis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yesitis »

Matt Cramer wrote:Did you have the new project automatically detect the parts?
I guess whatever it defaults to. I didn't change an settings. The only things I changed was the baud rate and the ECU setting. I sure hope I get better at this I have two other cars I want to use a Megasquirt controller on.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Please use the Detect button.
yesitis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yesitis »

Matt Cramer wrote:Please use the Detect button.
I have done that it opens up a window full of files and no matter which one I select it is wrong? I'll try some more tonight.
yesitis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yesitis »

I pathed to the MS2/Extra download and got a .ini file to load. There were several so I don't know if it is the correct one but I now get reaction to all the gages except RPM? In the bottom of the screen it says in red "Not RPM synced"