rpm test, steady light no flash

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

rithsleeper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

rpm test, steady light no flash

Post by rithsleeper »

I have tried searching for about an hour and came across a similar case but was fixed by soldering a missed joint. I rechecked and even resoldered joints that were the slightest bit questionable.

Nothing on the board is hot ever. All led tests check out. When I try testing the rpm signal I get a steady led light but no flashing. As I turn the rpm pots I get one blink about 1/4 of the way then the light just gets brighter. Same with the rpm fine or rpm coarse.

Is this an acceptable result? How can I test to find where the fault is? Without the chip installed, pin 13 and 14 do change voltage perfectly.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: rpm test, steady light no flash

Post by billr »

Are you testing a JimStim by itself here?
rithsleeper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rithsleeper »

Yes. I have not built the megasquirt yet. I figured it would be best to work on my soldering skills.Image
I know a couple joints aren't perfect but I went back and re did them the best I could and tested if they made a connection with the multimeter from the back of the board through whatever they were connecting. The only circuit board diagram I could find was not helpful in where to test "pin 1 and 3" for 3.3 volts and tracing with my eyes leads to a dead end at the 8 switches. Image
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You have the CPU the wrong way in. The notch on the chip goes on the side closest to the edge of the board.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
rithsleeper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rithsleeper »

I'm one dumb mf. I swear I looked at that and I saw the indention and was like, "oh yea that's got to be it." My god I'm stupid. Well it works! Thanks, sorry for wasting your time.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Don't beat yourself up. We all make those types of mistakes (I know I've done some).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum