Used MS2 board questions

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

vwb5t
MS/Extra Newbie

Used MS2 board questions

Post by vwb5t »

Hello, first post and trying to figure out what i have. I'm working on a 64 VW baja beetle installed a turbo 1914cc fuel injected motor and I've gotten to the point where its time to work on the ECU since all the hardware of the engine is done. i have a used MS2 V3.0 board and will be using a relay board as well. the used MS2 was previously on a vw 16v turbo engine, not sure what was run for ignition, fueling, etc, i've had the ECU for a few years while i was getting the rest of the beetle engine together. here are some pictures of the board and its current layout.

from what i can tell after reading the assembly manual and hardware manual several times and comparing it to the board its setup for a VR sensor and single coil output. my plan is to run EDIS with direct coil control through the MS2 so i know i need to add another driver.

also, jumpers and other hardware added to the board that are different from a straight forward assembly i will list below

IAC1A goes to D14 negative LED
IAC1B goes to D16 negative LED
IAC2A goes to D15 negative LED
there is a 1k ohm resistor going from r28 to negative LED same for the other 2 LEDS using R25 and r28 respectively

JS0 to SPR1 (CANH)
JS4 to SPR2 (CANL)
JS2 to SPR3 using a diode

IGBTout goes to bottom leg of Q4 which is not installed
IGBTin goes to bottom leg of Q20 which is not installed
VROUTINV is jumped to TSEl

my plan to make the board work for what i need is,
remove the IAC to led wires and resistors, JS0/2/4 jumpers, IGBTout/in jumpers

install coil driver kit from DIYautotune to control the EDIS module
jump IGBTout to IGN basically install the kit as its shown on DIY for multiple coils

i'm not running an IAC since this is a warm weather cruiser, no AC. so i will be using the IAC2B to run the 2nd coil in my EDIS4 coil. but what else am i missing, its my first adventure in MS2 and i've been reading the material for the past week trying to figure it all out and i think im close but please let me know if im way off. im ordering a simulator kit as well so i can test it before install but any help would be greatly appreciated
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Used MS2 board questions

Post by kjones6039 »

vwb5t wrote:my plan is to run EDIS with direct coil control through the MS2
Hate to be a nit picker, but that is a contradiction in terms..........
I assume you mean an EDIS style coil, controlled by MS2?

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance