please check my work and clarify a few things.

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

rithsleeper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

please check my work and clarify a few things.

Post by rithsleeper »

OK, first thing is every time I follow links to assembly procedures for my mx3 kit it keeps bringing me back to ms2 assembly. Everything has made sense so far so I'm guessing they are basically the same thing. I have basically the entire board done. There were only a few spots that I had to skip.

Step 50 was the most confusing. I am going to run this system on a Chevy 383 road race engine. My ignition system is a GM ignition 8 pin module with a Msd HEI divorced coil setup. From what I understand I would follow the assembly instructions for a hall type sensor then add a few steps. Here is what I did:

Installed r12, r13, c11, left c30 blank, jump d2, install u3, left c12 empty, jump OPTION to TACHSELECT, jump TSEL to OPTOUT, jump JS10 to IGN, jump XG1 to XG2.

Should that finish my ignition setup? I also read reference on the tpi fitment guide that I couldn't use sequential injection. This is the whole reason I bought the megasquirt 3 and ms3x.

The second question is the pwm idle valve? I just have a standard iac valve that is stock you component for my '89 corvette.

And finally (for now) what about the q11 and q3. Was I right to place the clear plastic between the heat sink and chip?

Thank you for any help.
Mike

PS I've included a picture of the board if someone wouldn't mind looking it over and seeing if it looks all right.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: please check my work and clarify a few things.

Post by billr »

Are you using the assembly instructions here:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS3XV30_Hardware-1.4.pdf

I didn't see a "step 50", only went up to 32
rithsleeper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rithsleeper »

That was not the one I found but I see it now. My whole question was based on the ignition I need. I'll go back over everything with this manual. It looks basically the same.
rithsleeper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rithsleeper »

OK I rechecked and changed a few things on the board. Nothing huge. I've got it all together except the reference to ignition setup. The part where it tells me to jumper the main board to the ms3x board. This is the part that concerns me... In this link the first thing it says when explaining how to connect for an HEI unit says.
"Note that this does not allow sequential injection, as HEI provides no cylinder identification.". Thisbis the entire reason i bought the megasquirt. Do i now need to get a crank trigger? http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... v6.htm#MS3
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You will need some form of cylinder identification. A crank / cam trigger combo or a dual sync distributor will work.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

rithsleeper wrote:OK I rechecked and changed a few things on the board. Nothing huge. I've got it all together except the reference to ignition setup. The part where it tells me to jumper the main board to the ms3x board. This is the part that concerns me... In this link the first thing it says when explaining how to connect for an HEI unit says.
"Note that this does not allow sequential injection, as HEI provides no cylinder identification.". Thisbis the entire reason i bought the megasquirt. Do i now need to get a crank trigger? http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... v6.htm#MS3
Using a distributor as the primary trigger isn't ideal as there will inevitably be some lost motion in the drive.

So the usual combination is a crank mounted trigger wheel to give an accurate crank position, ie timing, and a distributor based unit to give engine phase (cam position). The engine phase sensing doesn't need to be so accurate, as it only has to identify which stroke the engine is on.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
rithsleeper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rithsleeper »

any suggestions about the easiest way to accomplish a crank trigger? From what I've read so far, it would be order a trigger wheel from efi analytics and a crank sensor, create a mount that uses the bolts on the timing cover for the sensor. Then could I use the trigger wire on my 8 pin ignition module/distributor as the cam sensor, then calibrate the megasquirt3/MS3x to accept both sensors?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

What engine is this? We have some universal trigger wheels that can be adapted to most engines with some fabrication, but there may be a direct fit option out there.
rithsleeper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rithsleeper »

It is a 383 sbc solid roller. Distributor is Msd housing and pickup with GM 8 pin ignition module. I will be spinning the engine to 7000. Lots of porting so I will need the sequential fuel calibration and timing eventually would be nice but I assume I would need a coil for each cylinder for that.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

There are a number of off the shelf SBC crank triggers. Combine any of them with a one tooth Vortec distributor, and you're in business.