Configuring DIYPNP for smart coil control

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

feelingsupersonic
MS/Extra Newbie

Configuring DIYPNP for smart coil control

Post by feelingsupersonic »

A friend is putting together plans for an MS install for his E30 (inline 6) and the best option by far seems to be the DIYPNP kit, which is initially set up to control the stock coil (BIP373 transistor, etc).

He and I were discussing options: wasted spark makes sense, and we both like the idea of using smart coils, particularly LS series coils. The uncertainty is: what is required (board-wise) to send out logic-level signals instead of high-power grounds? It will be a waste spark config, so a total of 3 ignition channels will be needed. It's just a matter of making sure they send a signal compatible with the LS coils (0-5v logic level).

My understanding is that the signal is logic level before the BIP373 transistor - is that correct reasoning? If so, could that signal for each pair be run right out to the coils?

Sorry if I worded this poorly. We couldn't find any documented E30 builds that used smart coils (which is part of the fun).
1983 Porsche 944 - Microsquirt V3, limited by atmospheric pressure.
1986 Porsche 951 - MS3Pro and a turbo as big as my head
BigLou240sx
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Configuring DIYPNP for smart coil control

Post by BigLou240sx »

You are correct on running the logic level out to the pair (as long as the coils are of sufficient resistance and ls coils are). As long as they are not jumpered to the high current transistor portion of the diypnp board, ign 1 and ign 2 can be used directly to trigger spark a and b pairs respectively. For the third channel needed, see the microsquirt manuals for using wled or aled (can't remember which one is specific to spark c)
1990 Nissan 240sx / SOHC KA-T / DIYPNP
feelingsupersonic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by feelingsupersonic »

Ok thanks. I'm running a Microsquirt with LSx coils on my 944 (4cyl) so I know what you're referring to with the aled/wled.

I'm very new to DIYPNP systems and have no experience with custom jumper configurations so please forgive anything that would normally be considered obvious. It looks like the DIYPNP has one IGBT ignition driver... how should that be modified to use the original logic-level signal? Just leave out the transistor, and jumper the signal (that would normally go to the transistor middle pin) to the pair of coils? IIRC it will need to be a 0-5v signal. If there's a write-up on this already I apologize, I've been googling my ass off but am still not certain on the exact operation.
1983 Porsche 944 - Microsquirt V3, limited by atmospheric pressure.
1986 Porsche 951 - MS3Pro and a turbo as big as my head
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You wouldn't use the IGBT driver. See notes on logic level ignition here:

https://www.diyautotune.com/diypnp/docs ... ogic_level
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X