MS1 v3--can't load firmware

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ian12
MS/Extra Newbie

MS1 v3--can't load firmware

Post by ian12 »

I just built this one over the weekend and have been testing it out since I had a soldering iron failure causing some bridging (I hate the small transistors!) which meant some filing. In doing so, I cut some pcb traces. I since fixed all that and have done some tests. Everything appears fine. I put the stim on it, and I get one led (center one) to light up. I thought maybe I just needed to load firmware, so I tried. It keeps giving me this.............

I have the right com port obviously, and my serial cable/serial to usb cable have been used with my MS2 v3 and my friends MS2 v3. I can't figure out what is wrong other than maybe something is fried but no clue where to start. Does the crystal (Y1) have anything to do with booting? Reason I ask is, I have never dealt with it before. I decided to solder it to the board, which wasn't the quickest process to do. Hopefully you guys have seen this before.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I am set up for Ford EDIS. On top of that, I don't have anything in D1, D2, C30 (except my jumper for EDIS in the top hole), R39, and R57. Everything else is installed.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS1 v3--can't load firmware

Post by elutionsdesign »

I don't think the crystal would survive soldering to the board, that's a lot of heat. And yes, the crystal is part of the clock circuit for processor timing so without it it's lost. I would recommend getting another crystal.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
ian12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ian12 »

I was skeptical about soldering it, but the manual said it could be done. I had no glue at home, so I soldered. This build has been far more pain than the MS2 I did.
ian12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ian12 »

I had a crystal left from my MS2 and it didn't change anything. Still getting same error trying to load firmware
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

elutionsdesign wrote:I don't think the crystal would survive soldering to the board, that's a lot of heat. And yes, the crystal is part of the clock circuit for processor timing so without it it's lost. I would recommend getting another crystal.
It will survive soldering provided this is done quickly.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
ian12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ian12 »

I also swapped the ms1 cpu with the ms2 daughterboard (from my ms2) and still same error. Tunerstudio says no controller found in mini terminal. But my ms2 works fine (connects and everything appears to function but never installed in car).
ian12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ian12 »

Problem solved. PCB trace at pin 13 on u6 was damaged. It was so fine of a cut, it was unseen. Firmware is loaded and I'm in tunerstudio now.