+12V on Nitrous IN (diagnosis help!)

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

alienblood
Helpful MS/Extra'er

+12V on Nitrous IN (diagnosis help!)

Post by alienblood »

Hey all...
In the midst of a bunch of other repairs/upgrades to the harness, I finally connected AC and fan controls to my MS3X (MS3 v.3.0 + expansion card) In my 1987 BMW 325e.
using Nitrous IN as +12V trigger (because the e30 triggers everything with +12V)
MS3X Injector outputs for Compressor and Hi/Low fan relays (no problem there)

This worked perfectly for two days until I updated firmware to 1.4.x to solve some CL Idle issues, and that evening, I noticed that the AC and Fan indicators were illuminated in TunerStudio, even with the switch off. I disconnected Nitrous IN from the rest of the harness, and measured +11.4V on the Nitrous IN pin at the DB37..... so Megasquirt sees an AC Request, even when it's not there. I'm not sure if this is a software/firmware issue, or if there is a component failure/short internal to the expansion board. Any diagnostic help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know where to go from here.

In the meantime, can I use one of the Ground inputs (datalog, launch control, tableswitch), set to "Inverted", or can those not handle a +12V signal??

MSQ to be uploaded as soon as I get back to my laptop.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: +12V on Nitrous IN (diagnosis help!)

Post by grom_e30 »

have you got the nitrous pull up jumper fitted? if so try removing it
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
alienblood
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by alienblood »

Brilliant!! I don't understand why it functioned "properly" for two days, though.... Either way, I just removed the jumper. If you don't hear from me, that means it worked, and thank you SO MUCH!! :D
alienblood
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by alienblood »

Installed
Tested
Perfect!

Thank you again!
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

i seem to remember there was a bug some time back where the polarity on that input was incorrect in some f/w's i may be wrong though.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????