MS2 V3.0 issues on first connect

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ToGGoT
MS/Extra Newbie

MS2 V3.0 issues on first connect

Post by ToGGoT »

Ok, so finally got around to building the Megasquirt 2 V3.0 which i've had in a box for a good few years.

Done the setup through to around step 50 - The serial loopback test works fine in Hyperterminal, managed to load the firmware onto it with Downloader, and installed the option and jumpered for Hall effect style sensor.

Now loaded TunerStudio, and set it up for my USB/DB9 adaptor and I have a problem. It sees that I have an MS2 connected, but refuses to accept input from any of the pots on the Megastim, and the RPM gauge jumps from 0RPM to 8000RPM, and then drops back, and then jumps again continually.

I don't know if its relevant, but I have red indicators along the bottom for "SET ECU!!" (I used Auto-detect for the firmware on project setup, so i'm confident it can see which version i'm using - (MS2 Ver 2.92000)) & "LOW BATTERY".

Help!! - After an evening of going over and over what i've done so far I'm fed up, and have a headache.

ToGGoT
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: MS2 V3.0 issues on first connect

Post by jsmcortina »

You may want to upgrade to MS2/Extra - start out with the most commonly used and supported firmware. You can download it for free from the "Downloads" link above. Matching manuals are available under "Manuals".

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

What battery voltage are you feeding to the MS? Is it "clean" from a battery or real power-supply, or have a lot of AC ripple from a wall adapter? The only time I've seen the "low voltage" warning is when experimenting. My MS3 will run on 6V, but needs about 6.5 to power-up.
ToGGoT
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ToGGoT »

Ok, battery was evidently pretty low - i've found a 12v PSU which works, and i'm getting a steady 5.02v on pins 1, 20 and 31 to each of the specified ground pins. The Battery Low light in TunerStudio has also gone out.

However,

It still refuses to respond to the MegaStim, and the RPM gauge is still flipping back and forward wildly. The "SET ECU!!" light is still lit in TunerStudio also.

Am I supposed to get ANY LEDs lit on the MegaStim at this point, because none of them are... ?

jsmcortina: What would the benefit be of moving to MS2/Extra? I've just been following the build manual for this, and was under the impression that 2.92000 was the latest 'default' firmware?

Thanks

ToGGoT
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

To my knowledge somewhere around 90% of MS2 customers use MS2/Extra.

The "Set ECU" message is telling you to ...erm... set the ECU in the settings.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
ToGGoT
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ToGGoT »

Thanks bud - I realise I was asking a possibly stupid question, but I was following the build instructions, and it just wasn't working!

I just installed the latest MSExtra firmware (Which took a lot longer than doing it with the MSDownloader, which I am now rather suspicious of), and TunerStudio immediately saw it as a new version, and downloaded the updated file.

Upshot of which is that I can now adjust (Most of) the dials via the Stim Pots. So Thankyou so much for that advice!

Still have an issue with the RPM gauge - it twitches slightly if I rack the pot, but drops back to 0rpm and doesn't respond to slow movement of the pot. IAT also doesn't seem to do anything, but it may actually be that i haven't got the right gauges open - 5 minute break from work, so no time to check properly!

Thanks again!

ToGGoT
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

ToGGoT wrote: Still have an issue with the RPM gauge - it twitches slightly if I rack the pot, but drops back to 0rpm and doesn't respond to slow movement of the pot. IAT also doesn't seem to do anything, but it may actually be that i haven't got the right gauges open - 5 minute break from work, so no time to check properly!

Thanks again!

ToGGoT
Usually that is a sign the MS2's ignition mode does not match the ignition mode the JimStim is set up for.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

ToGGoT wrote:Ok, battery was evidently pretty low - i've found a 12v PSU which works, and i'm getting a steady 5.02v on pins 1, 20 and 31 to each of the specified ground pins. The Battery Low light in TunerStudio has also gone out.

However,

It still refuses to respond to the MegaStim, and the RPM gauge is still flipping back and forward wildly. The "SET ECU!!" light is still lit in TunerStudio also.

Thanks

ToGGoT
On TS, Fuel setup - General, make sure to top line (ECU Type) is set to 1 for MS2. 2 is for Microsquirt.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
ToGGoT
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ToGGoT »

Thankyou all. With the MSExtra firmware loaded, and a few settings tweaks within TunerStudio, all is now working.

I appreciate all the help! :)

ToGGoT