EDIS Modifications with MS2 V3.0

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ToGGoT
MS/Extra Newbie

EDIS Modifications with MS2 V3.0

Post by ToGGoT »

Starting a new thread, because this issue is very different to the last one.

Have just finished building my MS2 V3.0 board, loaded MSE 3.4.0 firmware, and have installed the options for PWM Idle, and EDIS6 ign. On connecting to Tunerstudio all the gauges work, and I can adjust all inputs with the pots on my Megastim.

On the Megastim, LEDs I1 + I2 flicker, and go solid as you increase RPM. PMP comes on with them. I get no activity from "IG".

On the Mainboard, the middle LED (D15) lights until coolant temp is above ~68 degrees. Bottom LED comes on briefly if I rack the TPS. Top LED (D14) does nothing.

So, I take it this means that the Ignition output for the EDIS system is not working? There appear to be several (I found at least 4) suggested ways of wiring up the MS2 for EDIS output, but I followed this one from the Megamanual EDIS page on construction:
V3.0 main board:
DB37 pin #36 to the SAW pin (#3) on the ignition module
DB37 pin #24 to the PIP pin (#1) on the ignition module
On the V3.0 main board:
use the 'Hall sensor circuit' (step #50.a in the assembly guide) - jumper D1 and D2,
jumper OPTOIN to TACHSELECT on the bottom side of the PCB, near the DB37 connector, opposite the heat sink,
jumper TSEL to OPTOOUT on the bottom side of the PCB, near the center.
jumper JS10 to IGN (this uses the processor port for the SAW signal directly),
jumper XG1 to XG2 on the bottom side of the PCB, near the 40 pin socket,
Obviously I am running this on the bench, connected to the Stim, rather than with the ignition module connected, but I still would have expected some activity from the IG LEDs...

ToGGoT
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: EDIS Modifications with MS2 V3.0

Post by DaveEFI »

You'll get yourself into problems if you use the MegaManual and Extra Code. How MS is configured for EDIS being a prime example. The MegaManual only covers B&G code.

So only use the manual linked to at the top of this page, as this is the latest and replaces all others for Extra code.

The preferred method now is to use the VR input for the engine tach signal if possible, and this includes EDIS. Leaving the opto input for less critical things like a cam position sensor, if used.

However, the Stim ignition LED would only show a spark if MS was generating the spark and firing a coil directly.

With EDIS, the EDIS module generates the spark, and MS only tells it to advance the firing point via SAW. And the SAW signal probably won't light an LED.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
ToGGoT
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ToGGoT »

Right, so what you're saying is that, code version aside, I wouldn't really be expecting the IG LED to be igniting with the MS configured for EDIS in the way that it is, even when connected to the Stim?

I built the Mainboard from the original B&G instructions, hence it being wired as it is - I actually didn't have any intention of running the 'Extra' code, but having loaded the latest B&G firmware, I couldn't get the MS to run properly with TunerStudio, and it was suggested I upgrade - which does seem to have sorted my issues there, although I actually think I may have been having issues with MSDownloader not actually loading the firmware properly.

Thanks

ToGGoT
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The MSDownloader must not be used.

Please see the manuals (link at the top of this page) and use the provided firmware loader.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

ToGGoT wrote:Right, so what you're saying is that, code version aside, I wouldn't really be expecting the IG LED to be igniting with the MS configured for EDIS in the way that it is, even when connected to the Stim?

I built the Mainboard from the original B&G instructions, hence it being wired as it is - I actually didn't have any intention of running the 'Extra' code, but having loaded the latest B&G firmware, I couldn't get the MS to run properly with TunerStudio, and it was suggested I upgrade - which does seem to have sorted my issues there, although I actually think I may have been having issues with MSDownloader not actually loading the firmware properly.

Thanks

ToGGoT
The ignition LED on the Stim is connected to ign on the MS. It would only flash correctly if MS was configured to drive a single coil directly. With EDIS, this circuit is used for SAW.

B&G code should not have caused you any problems as regards downloading and working with TS. So something else is going on. However, Extra allows a far wider range of configuration. But don't use anything B&G related like the code downloader if using Extra. The Extra downloader is far easier to use too.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.