Can MS2 with sequential mod be upgraded to MS3?

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Can MS2 with sequential mod be upgraded to MS3?

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I don't think I need to add anything to my previous post as it does answer what was asked except that a TinyIOx is $75 (plus the need of a few discrete components). And it will not replace an MS3 nor have I or will I ever claimed it would.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
jesse408
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jesse408 »

I think you were pretty clear on that, Jean.
About 6-8 months ago I was taking a good hard look at the tiny iox and it's possibilities versus cost. Back then, to me, it seemed like a good option. It just seemed a bit confusing how to set up the CAN communications in TS and configuring the varous circuits to do what I wanted at that time. I'm not ruling out the possibility of using something like the tiny IOX in the mean time, I just need to research it thoroughly.
If I have any more questions about the IOX I will post them in the proper forum.
Thanks guys.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

No "fault" or foul, it was a good informative debate.

I did forget the ms3x cable, I included the case, used to be about $50 when I upgraded.

One stepwise upgrade path could be done via adding the ms3x via the $12 ms2xt adapter, and rewiring, at that point the setup would be 100% MS3 ready save for actually dropping in the MS3 daughtercard when funds allow.
With existing highz injectors and ls2 coils you are MS3x ready.

But it probably won't add anything to your existing functionality, it just gets you much closer to the final setup.
A tiny IOX etc could add some I/O, and would still on an MS3..

The setup you have now works: run it.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
jesse408
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jesse408 »

Thanks.
My ultimate goal is to eventually have a newly built MS3X and then I can utilize my current MS2 (stripped down somewhat of course) for use as a 4L80E trans controller via CAN, but I'm doing very small and slow baby steps. One thing at a time. I can drive the car fine like it is, but like you said earlier, fuel trims would help a ton when turning up the boost. Even at just 9-10 psi I can already see by reading plugs which cylinders will be a problem with higher boost levels.
I have another question for Jean...
For future modification purposes, can each of the unused channels of the peak/hold boards be wired as a separate output circuit if the board is not being used for anything else?
The boards have power and ground, so I don't see why it couldn't work.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You can use the fuel trims on the MS2 because you have the sequential mod done. In a semi-sequential setup, that will affect pairs of cylinders but that may be good enough?

Using peak/hold drivers for anything that does not require it could lead to strange results depending on what you're driving. If it drains less than 1A (as a low Z injector would) then it's not a problem but anything above that could give unwanted side effects.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
jesse408
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jesse408 »

Thanks again. You guys have been patient with me, but I have yet another question as to wiring and outputs.
In my attempts to utilize every last programmable output, I ran across a setting in " ignition options/ wheel decoder" to change Spark A. This gives the option to use JS10 for Spark A instead of D14. Would there be any issues with me changing wiring and settings for Spark A from D14 over to JS10 so that D14 could be used as a programmable output?
In the settings it says, "Spark A (D14 preferred)". Is there a reason for this comment here?
The documentation also shows AD5 and AD4 as digital outputs. JS10 is currently used as tacho, but I think I can wire tacho into AD4?
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

As noted you need MS3/full sequential for individual cylinder fuel on a V8, the MS3 also has individual cylinder ignition timing tweak tables when setup for sequential, likely just as vital heavily boosted, can also do per-cylinder knock retard with the knock module.

There's usually a pair of cylinders that runs lean on US v8s, with semi-sequential you could pair those up, but order may not match the final sequential setup.

I'm not sure if there's an upside to rearranging the spark outs, but Jean wrote that part of the firmware, so he's the authority and probably has the possibilities and upsides/downsides of each memorized.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
jesse408
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jesse408 »

I'm not looking to get individual fuel trims for a V8 from an MS2, because that would be impossible as it is only an MS3 option.
My question pertains to the wiring and testing of Spark A. (Maybe I need to start a differeent thread for this question)
Why does Tuner Studio say "D14 preferred"? Tuner Studio allows for the choice of JS10 or D14 for use as Spark A in the drop down menu. Could there be some issue with using JS10 versus D14 for Spark A. : :RTFM:
If it makes any difference. The circuit I used for the logic output is built with a pair of TC4427 chips. (2 spark output channels per chip)
Can I safely use JS10 for the 5v logic circuit of Spark A when using a TC4427 chip?