Starting from scratch

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Mike Coles
MS/Extra Newbie

Starting from scratch

Post by Mike Coles »

I have built and tested my MS2 V3.0 and am part way through building the engine loom for my Alfa Romeo 16V Boxer. I will soon have to start getting serious about an initial configuration .msq, without hopefully needing to manually input every parameter. I am unaware that anyone has put a Megasquirt on one of these, and am wondering if it is viable to take an existing .msq from a similar capacity 1.7l 4 cyl engine to use as a starting point.
I am experienced with auto mechanics, electronics and computers, not so much the actual tuning needs of the engine, so programming at the moment is a bit of a shot in the dark.
Does anyone out there either have experience with the Alfa Boxer 16V on Megasquirt?
Is it reasonable to use mapping for a similar size engine as a starting point?
The boxer Alfas were never sold in USA, so I don't expect there will be much specific information from there. But a general response from there, or any response, would be appreciated.
(Mike in Australia)
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Starting from scratch

Post by DaveEFI »

It does seem on initial thought that starting off with a 'near enough' map may make things easier. But in practice it may work the other way round. As the base map you get when loading the code is not a bad starting point too.

My point being it's better to use the manual and go through all the basic settings etc for your particular engine rather that hoping someone else has done it correctly. Since many of those who fit MS will have done other mods too. So unless that map is from an identical engine to yours, it's not going to be much help.

Going through the initial setting up procedure also helps you learn what everything does. So when some parameter isn't quite right - as will happen - you'll have some idea of how and why.

Once you have the engine running reasonably well - which really won't take long - by all means compare someone else's tune.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Mike Coles
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mike Coles »

Thanks Dave, I did intend to go through the whole procedure, not just load up a map and run with it, but thought that a near match might be a better starting point. However, your advice has given me the confidence to use the base map, so I'll approach it that way.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Mike Coles wrote:Thanks Dave, I did intend to go through the whole procedure, not just load up a map and run with it, but thought that a near match might be a better starting point. However, your advice has given me the confidence to use the base map, so I'll approach it that way.
If it's any help, I drove my car round the block within a couple of hours of finishing the installation. First MS I'd ever seen - and built it myself too. But did start out fuel only. I'd checked and double checked all the software settings I could on the bench using a Stim etc, before fitting it to the car and doing those than can only be done with it running. I also had a complete spare inlet system for my engine, so could check everything including the new loom was ok on the bench.

BTW, that was before the wonderful Tuner Studio VE analyse live which has made tuning so much easier.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.