spark then no spark....

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kyleconstantine
MS/Extra Newbie

spark then no spark....

Post by kyleconstantine »

Hey guys, I'm running ms2e on a 1987 bmw 325i. I built my own unit and set it up for wasted spark. I had her up and running for a while but my fuel map seemed wrong. I realized i had a fuel leak at the pump back into the tank. i fixed the leak and started correcting my fuel map and suddenly I had no spark. I tried replacing the igniton drivers and eventually the coils. now most recently I got my hands on an ignition board from jbperf and new ignition drivers again to make sure my connections were perfect. the MS lights up the LEDs on the stim and the side of the case, but i cant seem to get any spark cranking or in test mode. Im attaching my tune and a couple logs. any help would be awesome. thanks, Kyle
kyleconstantine
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: spark then no spark....

more info and logs: coil is the ign-6 coil from diyautotune. I was running msd coils before. I have confirmed 12v at the coils when cranking. im attaching a tooth and trigger log also.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

What kind of crank sensor, VR or Hall? Can you post a picture of it, how it is mounted related to the crank wheel?

Edit: If you can get a spark in test-mode, you may have several problems here, a schematic of the wiring external to MS may help.

Edit2: Do you have 12V at the coils when trying test-mode?
kyleconstantine
MS/Extra Newbie

hey thanks for the quick reply billr. Its a vr sensor. I cant get to the car today but i have a photo from google. mine is exactly the same. I haven't verified 12v at the coil when in test mode only when cranking. I have 3 bip373 mounted inside the case on a jbperf 4 channel ignition board. spark a,b,c are wired to R26, R29, R27 respectively and out through the db37 ign,spr,2,spr3. Ill attach a crude layout/schematic for the external ignition wiring. Originally, when the car was up and running for a week or so, I had my ignition set up like this http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=68448 but when i lost spark i decided to try with a coil and connector from diyautotune.com but it didnt make a difference.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you test the spark outputs by connecting them to the LEDs on a JimStim and check if they blink in output test mode? Let me know what you find.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
kyleconstantine
MS/Extra Newbie

Matt Cramer wrote:Can you test the spark outputs by connecting them to the LEDs on a JimStim and check if they blink in output test mode? Let me know what you find.
hey Matt, well this is strange. I just reconnected MS to the stim and I am no longer syncing rpms on the stim. I was syncing right after my last ignition rebuild and I was syncing when cranking the car, but now im not showing a tach signal on the stim. I rechecked the stim was creating a tach signal its just not making it to the MS anymore.

The spark output test mode is even weirder. When testing any of the coils, the LEDs for both spark a and spark b flash simultaneously. spark c does not seem to flash no matter what. Even when i select coil C from the test mode, both A and B flash simultaneously. I removed all jumpers except for the jumper for spark A....the single LED flashes no matter if I select Spark a,b, or c in test mode. I hope i worded that clearly enough, and thanks for your time, Kyle
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try reloading the firmware and loading a tune from before the problem happened.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
kyleconstantine
MS/Extra Newbie

Matt Cramer wrote:Try reloading the firmware and loading a tune from before the problem happened.
Ok, just to keep you updated, I looked over my connections and r27 looked kinda fried. I replaced r26,r27, r29 and updated the firmware. when i reattached the stim and fired it up everything seemed to be working for a min....then no rpm signal. I found that if i wiggled the stim just the right way I would get a signal. I went back in and re soldered the db37. now I have constant RPM signal on the stim and it looks like its working fine. However, Im still having an issue in test mode. now spark a isnt firing but spark b and c light all three leds.....but all three fire one at a time on the stim. I'm heading to the car tomorrow after work to see if it will start, Ill let you guys know how it goes. thanks again
kyleconstantine
MS/Extra Newbie

ok so i finally made it to the car today....still no spark. I find that it works on the stim sometimes....sometimes i get no rpm signal for no apparent reason. the case remained closed since it was working perfectly on the stim the other day and now it doesn't get an rpm signal. sometimes turning the stim on and off will get it to work. sometimes the rpm keeps oscillating between 0 and whatever value the RPM pot is at. Im thinking my db37 connector could be bad? is this a possiblitly?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Work with test mode first, until that works perfectly don't worry about applying an RPM signal.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
kyleconstantine
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: spark then no spark....solved

I removed the ignition board, remounted the bip373''s to the case, and rewired. Everything was now working in test mode and the car fired right up. thanks for all the help