Final Assembly questions

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Final Assembly questions

Post by MustangMike »

I'm am building an MS3 3.0 with MS3x for use on a 2003 Ford 4.6 32v with sequential fuel & spark COP, crank and cam sensors. I'm using igniter module to fire the cops via the MS3x low voltage signal.
I will be using a 4 pin stepper IAC and no PWM iac.
I would like to install the knock sensor (on order), and will be using water/meth inj, and launch control (2 step)
I have the 4 jumper wires for the stepper iac, and the 2 for CAN installed as well as js9 to s12c
I have everything installed per the manual but had some questions I couldn't find solid answers to by searching.
1. Should I just install Q16 and r43 in case its needed later? If not, does r43 get jumpered or left blank (I've seen both suggested)
2. I installed q4 q20 r39 and d8 since im not using pwm idle ( I assume thats ok)
3. C30 was installed in the boot jumper and c30 on the board is empty (correct?)
4. I see many other mods for the ms3x card like tach, jp7 cam (not sure if mine is VR or hall but my crank is vr)

Any help or suggestions welcome, sorry if some of these are obvious but maybe I spent too many late hours looking at the manuals and forums and confused myself.
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
65 Cobra Daytona FFR, Terminator 4.6 4v, TKO 600
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Final Assembly questions

Post by Matt Cramer »

MustangMike wrote:I'm am building an MS3 3.0 with MS3x for use on a 2003 Ford 4.6 32v with sequential fuel & spark COP, crank and cam sensors. I'm using igniter module to fire the cops via the MS3x low voltage signal.
I will be using a 4 pin stepper IAC and no PWM iac.
I would like to install the knock sensor (on order), and will be using water/meth inj, and launch control (2 step)
I have the 4 jumper wires for the stepper iac, and the 2 for CAN installed as well as js9 to s12c
I have everything installed per the manual but had some questions I couldn't find solid answers to by searching.
1. Should I just install Q16 and r43 in case its needed later? If not, does r43 get jumpered or left blank (I've seen both suggested)
It would only be used if you later put this MS3 on something with a distributor. Your call here.

I'd only install R43 if you have an oscilloscope available to check dwell.
2. I installed q4 q20 r39 and d8 since im not using pwm idle ( I assume thats ok)
Sure. If you change your mind, you can use the PWM IAC output on the MS3X instead.
3. C30 was installed in the boot jumper and c30 on the board is empty (correct?)
Correct.
4. I see many other mods for the ms3x card like tach, jp7 cam (not sure if mine is VR or hall but my crank is vr)
These are just pull ups rather than any required soldering. You'll need to determine what sort of cam sensor is on your motor.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MustangMike »

Thanks Matt,
So if not using a coil or q16, R43 is left empty, no jumper required for any other part of the MS circuit correct?
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
65 Cobra Daytona FFR, Terminator 4.6 4v, TKO 600
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You do not need to put anything in the R43 slot if not using a transistor in Q16.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X