Mazda FS-DE 36-1 VR signal...inverted or no?

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

quiksilverly
MS/Extra Newbie

Mazda FS-DE 36-1 VR signal...inverted or no?

Post by quiksilverly »

I have the stock FS-DE 36-1 tooth VR setup for my mazda 4cyl FS-DE with 2 coil COP wasted spark and I was wondering if anyone ever figured out whether to set it up low input or high input(inverted). First time builder. Read many posts on setting these up on my configuration but none of them covered which mod/jumper set up to use for the VR signal. Closest I could get was

"Basic Logic Level Output

Rule of thumb: This is the most common spark output configuration on Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Toyota vehicles. If you have one of these cars, try starting with this setup.

On cars that use this, the ignition module is controlled by a voltage signal from the ECU. Usually, it starts charging the coil when it gets a 5 volt signal from the ECU, and fires the coil when the signal goes back to 0 volts. This is a fairly simple setup. Just start with the four pin header near Input 1, and jumper these outputs to your ignition module connections on the adapter board.

Spark A: IGN1

Spark B: IGN2

Spark C: WLED (requires MS2/Extra 2.1.1 or higher)

Spark D: ALED (requires MS2/Extra 2.1.1 or higher)

Spark outputs C and D also need pull ups. A typical pull up setup is to put a 100 ohm resistor in the 5 volt position for both R1 (spark D) and R2 (spark C).

Virtually all setups that use this mod will have the spark output set to Going High / Inverted. Check to be sure the ignition module doesn’t get hot when you have the key on and the engine off; if it does, reverse the spark output setting."

That was from DIYAUTOTUNE. Just wondered if anyone had worked this out for a 2 coil COP wasted spark?