Help testing on JimStim

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Help testing on JimStim

Post by MustangMike »

I'm having trouble getting any ignition or injection events on a newly built MS3x 3.0 setup, Its probably something simple
I have a v3.0 MS3 with MS3x expansion. The only modifications I did different than the manual was to omit the Q16 and R43 coil circuit and the RS232 chip and its caps.
I have the 4 jumper wires for the stepper iac, and the 2 for CAN installed as well as js9 to s12c
I tested all the voltage locations successfully before plugging in the cpu, flashed it to latest 1.4.0 Firmware and connected a jimstim w exp.
I can adjust TPS, AFR etc from the stim pots but get no rpm,ign or, inj lights.
I had a conflict with tacho out so its disabled for now.
The stim is set "primary tach" VR out (right side pins)
The VR pots (R56,52) are turned all out.

I have not touched anything on the MS3x card

Some backgroung tests; I have a working saved project from a friend i helped setup and not touching the stim (working on his MS3.0 ms3x) I loaded his project and got the same results of no inj or spark. Since he is running a coil I understand no spark but I should get inj lights i would think.

This for use on a 2003 Ford 4.6 32v with sequential fuel & spark COP, crank and cam sensors.
The MSQ is included as well as a composite log.
I really appreciate your time thanks, Mike
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
65 Cobra Daytona FFR, Terminator 4.6 4v, TKO 600
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Help testing on JimStim

Post by grom_e30 »

comp log only shows signal on the cam sensor, there is nothing from the crank sensor
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MustangMike »

So what should I be checking, tuner studio settings, MS, or Stim?
This is my first cop/crank triggered MS build, other was dist/coil and im not sure where to start troubleshooting.
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

what stim are you using? this will depend on how you set that up and what settings you need to amend on the ecu for testing purposes. have a read here http://www.msextra.com/manuals/stim/
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MustangMike »

I read through everything I could find, I believe it maybe a simple setup issue (I hope). I'm using the jim stim w the extender board that plugs into the 3x. You mentioned not seeing the crank signal so either a jumper wire on the stim is wrong or it is misconfigured, a setting in TS is wrong (my MSQ), or some MS3/3X is backwards,bridged,bad etc. I dbl checked all components.
Just overwhelmed and not sure where to start but just posting about it helps get the juices flowing.
All help appreciated.
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

iv never used a stim so you will have to bear with me, the crank sensor signal would come in to the ecu on the main board connector the lower one, and the cam sensor will be on the ms3x card upper connector. how have you got the switches set on the jim stim as they control what signal it will out put.

http://jbperf.com/JimStim/JimStim_v2_0_ ... .html#mode will have instructions on setting the stim up
MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MustangMike »

OK thx when I get home I will try and document all the settings, even though im not sure what they should be. Also cant find docs for the Stim MS3x card with the leds on it.IT has 3-4 jumperwires connected to it from the main stim.
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MustangMike »

It's working!!! :yeah!:
Grom, thanks for replying and getting me motivated and pointed in a direction.
I found several problems when I started checking into the VR Crank signal missing you mentioned.
I thought maybe the pots needed adjusting but doubted it as the stim should put out a perfect signal, while reading however I found some "required assembly" in the 120 pages of wheels and ignition info.
"Solder a wire between VrOut and TSEL, and VrIn and Tachselect" :RTFM: Totally my fault BUT should definitely be mentioned in the assembly section, maybe in the 13.4 Jumper wires section! :evil:
Unjumpered JP7 on ms3x board for my VR cam
This got me RPM signal and a flash of ign and inj lights then MS would go unresponsive with many red TS lights.
Following that lead, I found a setting I never saw before "AFR safety system" was on and shutting down Fuel and Spark because...well it's supposed to!
Turned that off and am able to run successful tests on the standard functions.
Found two more issues though. It always reads 150 kpa, I was careful not to screw down the map sensor before soldering it and indeed the i loosened the screw by hand but it still reads off.
Tested it with a syringe and it goes up and down but not accurately at all, meaning pulling hard on the syringe only gets it down to 85kpa.
Checked the Baro/Map sensor settings in general but they are at default. Just a bad MAP sensor? Try to re-solder it?
Also although I have a stock engine with factory 39lb injectors good to 480+HP, my duty cycle hits 90% at 5k rpm and 35% at only 2k. Req fuel was calculated spot on. Not sure what to check on this one???

Thanks again, Ill search and read more looking for answers to the last 2 new puzzles, but if anyone has ideas im open.
Mike
MS-III 3.0, MS3x