Validate VR conditioner circuit

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Validate VR conditioner circuit

Post by hobieboy »

Page 67 of the MS3 v3.0 hardware manual said that one method to adjust R56 is to measure voltage at the "top" of R54 and then adjust R56 to around 2.5V.

I'd like to confirm if it is sufficient to measure this only on the bench with JimStim connected or I should re-measure when the unit is in the car with a real VR sensor (which will be a bigger pain)?

thanks.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Validate VR conditioner circuit

Post by billr »

Alas, if you are going to the effort of doing this, then I think it is best done with the actual VR sensor in play. I set mine fully-CCW (for VR) and never fuss with them again.
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Validate VR conditioner circuit

Post by hobieboy »

My senior moment... re-reading the manual, since I am using a VR sensor, it calls for setting the voltage to the lowest possible instead of 2.5V (which is for Hall sensor).
Also looking at the schematics, I think I found the answer as well - don't think it matters whether its with a real sensor or JimStim,
I did measure mine and and fully CCW does provide lowest voltage on top of R54 (the first 2 turns or so on mine doesn't produce material increase in voltage). Though for MS3 to register RPM from JimStim, R56 needs to be turned a few times CW (increase voltage on top of R54).