No RPM Signal on my Megasquirt II V3.0 - Not RPM Synced

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

disjaukifa
MS/Extra Newbie

No RPM Signal on my Megasquirt II V3.0 - Not RPM Synced

Post by disjaukifa »

Hey Guys,

I'm building a Megasquirt II V3.0 for a LT1 with an Opti-Spark for my best friend and I've just gotten to step 55 on the build instructions, http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm, and I can't seem to get a RPM signal.

I've built the Megasquirt for Hall/Optical Input at step 50 per the instructions for an LT1 that I got from here https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... 1-lt4-l99/

I'm using a JimStim V1.5, I have gone through the troubleshooting for it and I have verified that it is generating the tach signal correctly.

I'm using MS2Extra 3.4.2 on my ECU and I'm using TunerStudio MS Lite on my Mac. All the other gauges are working from my JimStim the MAT, TPS, O2, and CLT all are looking good in TunerStudio, however I can't get RPM to register.

I have attached my MSQ file though it's basic, I'm still trying to figure out my way around the software. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Grant
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: No RPM Signal on my Megasquirt II V3.0 - Not RPM Synced

Post by arran »

2000cc LT1 V8?

Is it running a Distributor? Looking at the tool tip the trigger angle you have specified (90) seems outside the recommendation
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran
disjaukifa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by disjaukifa »

arran wrote:2000cc LT1 V8?

Is it running a Distributor? Looking at the tool tip the trigger angle you have specified (90) seems outside the recommendation
Okay yup I missed the engine displacement, I just updated that. I read here for the Opti-Spark I had to set the trigger angle to 90
Set ignition capture to “Falling Edge,” and coil charging to Standard Coil Charging. Dwell will depend on exactly which coil you are using. Cranking trigger time must be set to Calculated. If using MS2/Extra, set the ignition type to Basic Trigger. Trigger angle is in the 90 degree range; this may vary depending on production tolerances, so confirm this with a timing light.

Important when using the BIP373: On the ‘Ignition Settings’ menu make sure to set ‘Spark Output’ to ‘Going High (Inverted)’ and set ‘Coil Charging Scheme’ to ‘Standard Coil Charge’.
Should I ignore this for now and set it back to 0 just to test my setup with my JimStim?

Thanks
Grant
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Just to add you should be very careful using the MegaManual build guide when intending using Extra Code. As some of the configuration of even hardware can be different.
Best to use the manuals linked to at the top of this page. They have been written exclusively for Extra Code.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
disjaukifa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by disjaukifa »

DaveEFI wrote:Just to add you should be very careful using the MegaManual build guide when intending using Extra Code. As some of the configuration of even hardware can be different.
Best to use the manuals linked to at the top of this page. They have been written exclusively for Extra Code.
Great . . . okay well I'm going through those instructions now, really hope I don't have to desolder have this PCB :(
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

disjaukifa wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:Just to add you should be very careful using the MegaManual build guide when intending using Extra Code. As some of the configuration of even hardware can be different.
Great . . . okay well I'm going through those instructions now, really hope I don't have to desolder have this PCB :(
Probably not much if at all. Main differences are likely around the tach inputs. With Extra Code, the VR input is generally used for most primary signals, but do check for your specific system.

It can confuse to be told to do something one way then different elsewhere. To me, anyway. :D
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
disjaukifa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by disjaukifa »

DaveEFI wrote:
disjaukifa wrote:
Probably not much if at all. Main differences are likely around the tach inputs. With Extra Code, the VR input is generally used for most primary signals, but do check for your specific system.

It can confuse to be told to do something one way then different elsewhere. To me, anyway. :D
I'm mostly confused now because I read the documentation and I don't see what I should do for the OptiSpark system. Do I need to go back and build the system up for VR vs Hall Effect?
disjaukifa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by disjaukifa »

If anyone could point in the right direction for this build, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
Grant