My Megasquirt 2 Extra v3.0 - assembly issues - noobie

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

adrian3500
Helpful MS/Extra'er

My Megasquirt 2 Extra v3.0 - assembly issues - noobie

Post by adrian3500 »

Hi there,

Got some issues with my megasquirt...
I did try to wire the megasquirt for wasted spark, and semi-secquential....but seems maybe i did not do it right (wrong wiring diagrams?!).
Wiring it was made a long time ago... never tested it.

I'm using coils, injectors, and the other sensors, from a Honda Civic EP1, 1.4is, D14Z6 engine.
- 4 cyl engine
- trigger wheel 36-1
- crankshaft sensor - Hall sensor - 3 wires
- COP - Denso 099700-061 - logic input?! (It has 3 pins, and resistance between 1-2 is 48,5k ohm, 2-3 is 1100 ohm, and 1-3 is 49,6k ohm). What about wiring these?
- injectors - it think they are high impedance ( need to re-check)

I want to use:
- semi-sequential injection
- wasted COP

As for the semi-sequential injection, after wiring the injectors in pairs, and trying to test them in test mode with TunerStudio, i'm hearing 3 clicks when testing injector A, and 3 clicks when testing injector B. Testing for injector C, and D, returns no clicks. Is it ok? Shouldn't return any clicks when testing to injector C and D?

As for waste COP...wired the megasquirt a while ago, but seems there is a big problem
- from the crankshaft sensor, i'm getting 5v to megasquirt, permanently. Nothing changes when touching the sensor with metal. So i'm not getting any movement. Tried with another sensor, same thing.
- trying to test the coils, in test mode / TunerStudio, did not return any spark at the coils. Wired the coils separately, to IGN, SPR2, SPR3, SPR4.

I would need somebody to point me out the right schematics for wiring the megasquirt for wasted spark / semi-sequential, so i could re-check if i did something wrong.
I'm not sure i did corectly the wiring on the board for the mods i need, because i was not so sure on myself when choosing the schematics :oops:
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: My Megasquirt 2 Extra v3.0 - assembly issues - noobie

Post by dontz125 »

The COP wiring can be found in the Extr manuals; click the link at the top of the page. Instead of wasted COP (waste of 2 ports), wire it for wasted spark (spark A and B) with each channel driving 2 coils.

Semisequential injection on a 4-cyl uses the standard drivers; no changes needed.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

You need to look at this step by step.
MS won't do anything without a tach signal from your crankshaft sensor. It won't spark or inject. If you connect your laptop to MS, you should see the cranking RPM on Tunerstudio when cranking, or in a log.
So you need to find out the correct wiring for the sensor you're using. If a hall, does it need a pull up resistor added?

Once you get a good stable tach signal, you can move on to other issues.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
adrian3500
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by adrian3500 »

1. for wasted COP i made these mods from " Logic level ignition output"
http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/sparkout-v30.html

isn't that ok? wired them separately, to IGN, SPR2, SPR3, SPR4.
why don't i get any spark?

2. for the injectors, wired them 2 by 2...

3. for the hall sensor....i think i didn't wire it corectly.
I wired like for "VR Input with pullup for hall sensors, LS2/58X, optical sensors or points", page 64.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.3.pdf

But how do i make sure...that my crankshaft sensor has internal pullup, or not?
Maybe i wired iti with pullup....but it's already with pullup, so i wired it incorectly....what should happen?
Maybe i should remove the jumper cable from the aditional rezistor to VRIN?!
adrian3500
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by adrian3500 »

DaveEFI wrote:You need to look at this step by step.
MS won't do anything without a tach signal from your crankshaft sensor. It won't spark or inject. If you connect your laptop to MS, you should see the cranking RPM on Tunerstudio when cranking, or in a log.
So you need to find out the correct wiring for the sensor you're using. If a hall, does it need a pull up resistor added?

Once you get a good stable tach signal, you can move on to other issues.

In TunerStudio, selecting TEST MODE, shouldn't it work without crankshaft sensor?Shouldn't be able to get spark?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd first get a decent stable tach signal before worrying about anything else.

Basically do things in stages.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
adrian3500
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by adrian3500 »

ok...so....crankshaft sensor...
- tried without pullup rezistor - on the signal wire - got about 3v when no metal touching the sensor, and almos 0v when metal touching the sensor
- tried with pullup rezistor - on the signal wire - got about 5v when no metal, got 0v when touching metal.

Sensor seems to work ok with pullup rezistor.
Still, nothing on TunerStudio, on composite logger.
What could be wrong?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Check for an AC signal at pin 24 of the mainboard DB37, while cranking. Do you have both tachin jumpers in place on the mainboard? How do you have the pots set? Good pictures of both sides of the board may help here, since it is and "old, never tested" build you are trying to activate.
adrian3500
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by adrian3500 »

I got the megasquirt aleady assemblied(i think it came with factory assembling), and i just modified it for hall sensor, and wasted cop, with semi-sequential injection.

I used the wiring diagram from the ms2v30 manual...

The pots...i turned them anti-clockwise until they made a click. Then turned clockwise the R56 6 turns. Tried with 8 turns too. I've read somewhere that both pots should be turned clockwise 6 turns. Tried that too, still no effect.
at pin 24, while touching with a metal the crankshaft sensor and letting go, i'm getting 5v and 0v, alternating.
So the sensor seems to work...but nothing in megasquirt:(
Trying` to troubleshoot stuff....i disconected the D1 and D2 diodes, seems they were wired. Still no change.

Now it's wired with jumper at VRin - TachSelect, Tsel - VRout, and a pullup rezistor from 5v mainboard to VRin.
I will try to post some photos....
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

"- from the crankshaft sensor, i'm getting 5v to megasquirt, permanently. Nothing changes when touching the sensor with metal. So i'm not getting any movement. "

That is from your original post; what was changed to now get response from the CKP sensor? I know you have fiddled with resistors, pot setting, jumpers, etc; but what remains changed now that you get a signal at pin 24? Test for a signal at pin 24 again while cranking and the sensor/wheel in their working configuration.

Post the MSQ and a tooth-log while cranking. Are you powering the Hall with 5V or 12V?

Edit: I think V3.0 boards don't come "factory assembled"; what vendor did you buy from?
adrian3500
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by adrian3500 »

here are some photos....
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/17eyx3qjo92t ... OlRpa?dl=0

- for getting the 5v / 0v i've re-wired the sensor (inverted the signal wire with the 12v wire)
- i'm powering the sensor with 12v
- i'm getting no activity when cranking, in tooth log / composite log / trigger log. It says that there is no data received from controller.(even if the megasquirt gets it's 5v / 0v while cranking or moving a metal in front of the sensor)

I'm from Romania. I got the megasquirt from a guy that bought it for his rally car, it's written on the box that it's "taylor made for xxxx' (i can't read the signature). I don't know if it's helping:)
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

MSQ? I don't think I can help much more, I am not familiar with the MS2 mods. It looks like TachSelect is not jumpered to VRin, it is connected to Optoin? I assume the black (dark blue) wire there is connecting to the pull-up, correct?
adrian3500
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by adrian3500 »

this msq you asking for?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/333j1t8t3asfy ... e.msq?dl=0

- TachSelect is jumpered to VRin. It was jumpered to OptoIN in a desperate situation of tryin` to wire the megasquirt for another sensor type...
- yes, the dark wire from VRiN to the proto area is for the pullup rezistor.

- D1 needs to be jumpered? (i just disconected one end of it)
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

So the connection to Optoin was clipped, I'm just seeing the remains of it still soldered in the hole? Yes, that is the MSQ (tune) file, but I can't open it from there. I would need it posted here as a simple attachment.
adrian3500
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by adrian3500 »

yes, you're just seeing my sloppy work at Optoin :oops:
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Not necessarily "sloppy work", often it is safer to just clip and leave a tail in place, rather than risk damaging a board trying to remove the tail. I was just a little confused. If you aren't using the opto input, then I doubt D1 matters at all.
adrian3500
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by adrian3500 »

- tried follow the assembly guide, and the only difference at me, at the ignition, my board has soldered the C30, and C12 (for triggering negative terminal of coil). I'm not sure I need this...
- jumpered D1, got D2 out of the board
- jumpered VRin-TachSelect, Tsel-VRout
- got a rezistor from 5v from the board, and jumpered it with VRin
- turned the R52/R56 fully anti-clockwise, and then turned R56 clockwise 6turns. Played with it +-2 turns...nothing changing
- tried in TunerStudio different settings at ignition, going high/low, raising edge....nothing changing.

still no movement in TunerStudio while tryin` to log....it keeps saying "No data received from controller"
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
adrian3500
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by adrian3500 »

hello,

trying to follow the test:
i let the crankshaft sensor conected, and used it to get 5v or 0v to the input.

5v input - measured at pin 2 of U7 - 4.93v
0v input - measured at pin 2 of U7 - 1.03v
so this part seems to be OK.

applied 5v input, and i got:
voltage at pin 3 of U7 is 4.73v
voltage at pin 1 of U7 is 3.66v

i was tryin` to adjust R56 to get 1-2v at pin 3 of U7....tried all over anti-clockwise, all over clockwise, half clockwise.
No change at pin 3 of U7. Still 4.73

I assume that R56 is faulty?! Am i right? Can i find this in a regular electronic shop??
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

This does sound like an issue with R56, although also check for faulty solder joints and damaged traces. Some well stocked electronics shops like Fry's might have one.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X